Fertilizer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
First attempt at low light planting, and I have 2 plants I will be attempting to grow Java Fern, and Anubias Nana. I know you're supposed to keep the roots above the substrate (attach them to something) or they will rot.

So is it better to use Liquid Fert or Root tabs? I would assume liquid since its not in the substrate, or does the root tab provide both. I also plan to also dose CO2 Booster while attempting to grow, or is that not worth it.

Your Plants

First attempt at low light planting, and I have 2 plants I will be attempting to grow Java Fern, and Anubias Nana. I know you're supposed to keep the roots above the substrate (attach them to something) or they will rot.

So is it better to use Liquid Fert or Root tabs? I would assume liquid since its not in the substrate, or does the root tab provide both. I also plan to also dose CO2 Booster while attempting to grow, or is that not worth it.

Hello zer...

These are slow growing plants and don't require added fertilizers. They'll do fine with the ferts the fish produce. You just feed the fish a little flaked, freeze dried or frozen food most days. Add a large water change every few days to replace minerals in the water that are lost to filtration and the plants will grow fine.

B

Ha! Thats even better :) though I do like having things to do daily with the tanks... But I can get over this step for awhile till I step it up in the plant department! :)

Definitely easy plants, good to start with. Any thoughts about what you'd like to try next?

Hornwort because its tall and fast spreading, but I have not done much research into that yet. Other than that, I have no idea :)

What size is the tank? Just wondering in terms of plant ideas for you.

I've only used hornwort as a floater, than got angry when it started falling apart :rolleyes:

Its a 36 Gallon Bow Front (30Lx15Dx24H), brand new no fish, currently in instant cycle (media from established tank).

I am really looking for some background plants to be honest, some tall nice looking ones. I will put a piece of drift wood as the center piece, and then the java fern and anubias as the mid. I also have decent lighting (50+ PAR) for some moderate lighting plants if I get to that point.

This will eventually be my Ram tank once I can get it running w/ older water. So I think live plants will be a real boon for them!

So, I wanted to update. I am on vacation today, and went to a pretty big fish store around me and bought some more plants for the 36 Gallon.

Anacharis

Chilenis - Sagittaria Platyphylla

Vallisneria Spiralis

I know the Anacharis will grow with just fish waste, like the other 2 plants I have. But I presume the Val and Chilenis will require ferts?

If you want to start with liquid ferts

1x weekly after PWCs
Flourish comprehensive
API LeafZone

Flourish excel daily or at least weekly

I use DIY Root Tabs every 3-4 months

Crypts are nice plants for lowlight tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you want to start with liquid ferts

1x weekly after PWCs
Flourish comprehensive
API LeafZone

Flourish excel daily or at least weekly

I use DIY Root Tabs every 3-4 months

Crypts are nice plants for lowlight tanks.

You do the Flourish and Root tabs with yours? Yes, I saw some crypts there too, I plan to visit another great fish store tomorrow, I may just pick some up then too!

Yes I use all the ferts I listed.
I bought DIY root tabs via The Planted Tank sales forum ( free to join)

50 for $8 incl shipping

Alright, so they are all planted. Any suggestion on 2 small plants that will go well in front of the dirftwood?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1424475903778.jpg
    1424475903778.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1424475926003.jpg
    1424475926003.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 42
  • 1424475942829.jpg
    1424475942829.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 45
Back