Fertilizer spikes in planted tanks??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have heard stories about people using fertilizer spikes from Miracle-Gro or Jobe's in their planted tanks.

I just looked at a package my wife has from Miracle-Gro. It is a 6-12-6 mix with these parameters:
Total Nitrogen - 6%
Available Phosphate - 12%
Soluble Potash - 6%
Water Soluble Magnesium - 0.5%
Boron - 0.02%
Copper - 0.05%
Iron - 0.15%
Manganese - 0.05%
Zinc - 0.05%

The only other fertilizer I have on hand is API's Leaf Zone 0-0-3 mix with these parameters:
Soluble Potash - 3.0%
Iron - 0.1%
A website on the bottle shows a chemical breakdown with Copper, Zinc, Molybdenum, lead, arsenic and other elements.

My question is: Would the fertilizer spikes be too harsh for planted aquariums? Has anyone used these with good/bad results?

Im curious about this too, i know they can burn the roots of terrestail plants but people seem to just jab them in. Osmocote seems like it would be more stable and safer. Seems like youll also end up with a salinity issue almost all ground plant foods have salts in them.

I've done alot of research prior to setting up my tank, as it had my sins fish in it at the time. I've rad that the jones fern and palm are the best for planted tanks... Not the regular houseplant kind.

I've heard not so great stuff about the miracle grow spikes but people swear by the jobes. I recently picked up some Jobes organic vegetable spikes. Just converted a 55g into a planted tank and I'm using that as my experiment. I've always used API root tabs which are 3-1-1 and these are 7-2-4 so we'll see what happens

To anyone experimenting with plant spikes, osmocote, w/e. Pay attention to the "water soluble nitrogen" and check to see if it's ammonia or nitrate. A lot of these terrestrial fertilizers will use ammonia rather than nitrate because, hey, no fish. Many people have had great success with ammonia containing spikes, etc, and I certainly wouldn't discourage their use. Some people have reported ammonia spikes with them though. So please, keep an eye on your ammonia for at least a few days after putting them in to make sure they're not going to cause problems for you.

aqua_chem said:
To anyone experimenting with plant spikes, osmocote, w/e. Pay attention to the "water soluble nitrogen" and check to see if it's ammonia or nitrate. A lot of these terrestrial fertilizers will use ammonia rather than nitrate because, hey, no fish. Many people have had great success with ammonia containing spikes, etc, and I certainly wouldn't discourage their use. Some people have reported ammonia spikes with them though. So please, keep an eye on your ammonia for at least a few days after putting them in to make sure they're not going to cause problems for you.

+1
Good advise. I know the osmocote I use contains a rather high amount of urea.

Back
Top Bottom