Fertilizing Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been studying Malkore's guide as well as other guides and I have come to the following dosing schedule. Tank information is in my signature. Tell me what you think. My intent is to do this twice a week.

Potassium Nitrate - As needed by Nitrate measurement to get ~15 ppm
Potassium Sulfate - 20 ppm Potassium minus Potassium in Potassium Nitrate dose (if any).
Plantex CSM+B - 15ml (1 tsp in 250ml of tank water)
Mono Potassium Phosphate - As needed by Phosphate measurement to get ~1 ppm.

So, what about Magnesium Sulfate? I know its available, do I need it? What does it help?

Alshain said:
I've been studying Malkore's guide as well as other guides and I have come to the following dosing schedule. Tank information is in my signature. Tell me what you think. My intent is to do this twice a week.

Potassium Nitrate - As needed by Nitrate measurement to get ~15 ppm
Potassium Sulfate - 20 ppm Potassium minus Potassium in Potassium Nitrate dose (if any).
Plantex CSM+B - 15ml (1 tsp in 250ml of tank water)
Mono Potassium Phosphate - As needed by Phosphate measurement to get ~1 ppm.

So, what about Magnesium Sulfate? I know its available, do I need it? What does it help?

Most water supplies have ample amounts of Magnesium if the GH is above 3degrees. You most likely do not need it if your GH level is high. If your GH level is below 3 degrees you *might* need to dose it, and if this is the case you might need to dose calcium as well since it is used in larger quantities than magnesium.

Also, don't worry about subtracting potassium that is added by the nitrAte, you cannot do harm by dosing more than required, and its one less thing to worry about if you notice algae problems or plant deficiencies.

What is your light level (your sig has the eclipse system but I'm not familiar with the exact specs). That and your CO2 level will give you a better idea when and how much ferts to add.

Hmm, your seeing an old sig for some reason. My current sig should say

55 Gallon Tank: Rena XP2, Current USA Satellite 48" 130 Watt PC 6700k, Hydor ETH 300, DIY CO2 System, Eco-Complete Substrate
Fish: 2 Marigold Swordtail, 1 Pineapple Swordtail, 1 Marigold Wag Swordtail, 1 Otocinclus (Soon to be moved from a 12 gallon tank)
Plants: Radican Sword, Moneywort, Wisteria, Red Wendtii

Oh, and my GH is quite high. It took 11 drops on the last test (I think thats 11 degrees).

EDIT: Ah, I think you are looking at my "myinfo" page, not my sig. I will fix that.

Then you should not need the magnesium. It's always a good idea to contact your local water company to find out exactly what dissolved solids are present in your tap, but its near impossible to have a GH that high with little or no magnesium (or calcium for that matter).

And CO2 is definately going to be your biggest issue in this tank. I would recommend at minimum a small dose every day of Excel (even if it is only a capful) to give that extra bit of CO2.

Isn't the Plantex CSM+B the same as the Excel? I've heard some bad things about Excel causing plants to die (or melt).

No Plantex CSM + B is similar to Flourish it is a trace supplement. Excel is a carbon supplement and will have a negative effect on anacharis and on vals.

Well I intend to add a lot more plants, but not Anarchis (I have it in my 12 gallon, I just don't like it). Not sure about Vals. I think I may get some hairgrass and then I think I will have enough background plants, time to work on midground and foreground.

Back
Top Bottom