Ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So you're saying that because I didn't put Excel in my tank today, there's zero co2 in my water column? According to Fort, co2 is present all the times, just in lower quantity. Is that wrong?

I agree that any Excel (and ferts) are best added in the AM. Most plant growth (in or out of water) takes place during the daylight hours.
No, I didn't say there is 0 co2 in the water column, there's always atmospheric co2 levels assuming sufficient water turnover.

I was speaking of using excel as a carbon supplement and keeping it steady, just like you would pressurized co2 or diy co2 via the aid of a drop checker or ph controller.

It shouldn't be according to Fort, it should be according to common sense. When heterotrophic organisms respire, CO2 is released. CO2 is everywhere.

By that logic, adding co2 to the tank is pointless since it's everywhere.

I don't know why you are trying to pick apart what I'm saying, it's pretty straightforward. You aren't going to get elevated co2 levels without some sort of co2 injection or carbon supplementation, and with either method, you want to keep it at as steady of a rate as possible.

I wasn't trying to pick apart what you are saying at all, I was just saying it isn't necessary to dose ferts every single day. Also, that isn't what I was implying by "CO2 is everywhere", I was simply stating to Limpet that you don't need to fill in the name of a user to prove that CO2 is always there.

Sorry if I came across as rude, that wasn't my intention...

It's all good. Necessity of ferts is on a tank to tank basis because of all the variables.

Most ferts stay there until they are used up or taken out, liquid carbon supplements don't, they dissipate on their own in time, so they have to be added periodically to maintain a certain level.

Ok, so whether you're talking about an aquarium or anything else, the air in our atmosphere contains about 7ppm co2. I'm pretty much in agreement with jetajockey though, you need a steady source of carbon. Fluctuating co2 or carbon levels will result in algae, usually BBA. Sure, plants don't *need* a steady source of carbon, but your aquarium does if you want to maintain a healthy system. That said, daily dosing may not be necessary to acheive that. That's determined by your lighting and nutrients, which directly affect the growth of your plants. If they have the nutrients and light, but not the carbon, you'll get algae.

This shouldn't be a debate. If the OP does not want to inject co2, gluderaldahyde will be sufficient as long as the lighting isn't in the 'high' category (IMO). Whether it has to be dosed daily, every other day, weekly, etc will depend on factors that we can't necessarily determine. If algae becomes a problem, dose more. Simple enough

No, I didn't say there is 0 co2 in the water column, there's always atmospheric co2 levels assuming sufficient water turnover.

I was speaking of using excel as a carbon supplement and keeping it steady, just like you would pressurized co2 or diy co2 via the aid of a drop checker or ph controller.

Gotcha. I figure as long as there's some co2 in the water the plants are fine, of course I'm not looking to grow a forest of plants, just keep them healthy and the 2x 2 foot long stemmed lily pads from my banana plant tells me I've got the right balance.

It shouldn't be according to Fort, it should be according to common sense. When heterotrophic organisms respire, CO2 is released. CO2 is everywhere.

You're right, but in all my years of planting on dry land, we never really worried about co2 (per se).

One thing I'd like to state, and feel free to delete if it is against the rules or whatever, but please refrain from telling someone to go talk to someone else since "they are experts" in such an explicit form. When someone such as JetaJockey has been giving his (rather intelligent) input so far into the thread, it is rather rude to tell someone to pretty much ignore it and go to someone else.

Just my 2.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom