Ferts and CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulieFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I was planning on getting ferts, recently got into root tabs. Couple of questions.

What ferts to get? I do not have any real plants on what plants to get yet, but I was planning on getting some dwarf hairgrass (unless i can find a better carpet like plant), some java ferns, maybe some swords, and any other suggestions would look great.

CO2, I am trying to save some money, and I was reading the DIY CO2 kits, but would a DIY be fine for a 45g tank? Also what about liquid CO2? or the fiz tabs?

Suggestions would be great. Also any good places to buy these would be great.

If those are all the plants you're planning on having I wouldn't mess with ferts. Weekly water changes will be sufficient as those are not very demanding plants at all. The swords will enjoy root tabs, but otherwise you shouldn't need any ferts.

If you do decide to dose anyway, you'll want to research the basic ferts - NPK + Traces (nitrate, phosphate, potassium and trace elements). These are sometimes referred to as Macros and micros.

As for CO2, any plant will benefit from good CO2 levels. You can go the DIY route and that will probably work out just fine for you as well.

Eventually, though, you'll get hooked and want a high-tech setup (been there), so while you're working on this tank it'll give you time to do all the research for a true high-tech setup that will need ferts, pressurized CO2, high lighting, etc. Trust me, it happens =)

If those are all the plants you're planning on having I wouldn't mess with ferts. Weekly water changes will be sufficient as those are not very demanding plants at all. The swords will enjoy root tabs, but otherwise you shouldn't need any ferts.

If you do decide to dose anyway, you'll want to research the basic ferts - NPK + Traces (nitrate, phosphate, potassium and trace elements). These are sometimes referred to as Macros and micros.

As for CO2, any plant will benefit from good CO2 levels. You can go the DIY route and that will probably work out just fine for you as well.

Eventually, though, you'll get hooked and want a high-tech setup (been there), so while you're working on this tank it'll give you time to do all the research for a true high-tech setup that will need ferts, pressurized CO2, high lighting, etc. Trust me, it happens =)

Yeah was planning to go lo-tech for now, but I know once I see good results from lo-tech I am defiantly going to go hi-tech.

But do you think a DIY kit with 1 bubble every 3-5 seconds is good? Since im very limited on money atm, I am just trying to save money on testing kits etc.

You'll need more than that flow rate, but it is obtainable using a DIY kit or even mixing your own.

I think I might try it in a day or two, I get paid tomorrow (crappy 40 bucks) so I might go and buy some yeast and other essential materials for it.

Back
Top Bottom