Ferts in a 10G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azimuth

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a High light (16 lumens /Sq. Inch.) setup in a 10G tank I have it moderately planted and am really into the carpet cover plants. With High light, do I need to go with a co2 system or can I look at liquid nourishment /other options?
Thanks in advance

You made it hard for me, but I'm guessing that you have ~40-50 watts?(from my math, but assuming type of bulb) What kind of bulbs?

If they are screw in CF's then it is not high light, more like medium light. If its tubes like T8 or T5/PC then if they have good reflectors you prob are getting close to high light and will need CO2(not an option!)

Excel is the only option instead of CO2, but Excel is really only for medium light MAX!, like 2wpg on larger tanks, prob ~40-50w of spiral screw in bulbs on a 10G

SpeedEuphoria, that's a nice tank you have. After Work I will go into detail about how I calculated my Light levels.

I was wondering what to look for regarding plant food and whatever else is needed short of a co2 setup.
I looked everywhere yesterday for Flourish Excel and nobody had it.
there was some other plant supplement made by Seachem

That's not my tank

For ferts you will need N,P,K and micros. You will prob need them all but since it is a small tank and lower light.no co2 you wont need much dosing amount at all.

In my 10G w/ 2x 13w spiral bulbs I only dose once every 2 weeks, very small amounts.

I have 46W in mine now.
is there an all in one fert or do I buy them separate? what is Micros?

Micros (aka Micro Nutrients aka Traces aka Trace Nutrients) are the nutrients that plants need in small amounts. They generally available in a single dosing solution. Flourish "Comprehensive", Tropica Plant Nutrition, and CSM+B are all good sources for Micros.

If you haven't already I suggest that you check out the read this first sticky at the top of the forum. There are links to threads and articles on keeping live plants. There's lots of great information including information on fertilization and CO2.

I bought Seachem Flourish at a local pet store (they didn't have any other plant nutrients) I assume this is the micro nutrients I need?
I have been reading and found that Nitrogen and Phosphates are usually present without adding them. but that I might need iron and potassium. I have a small 1Litre CO2 factory (DIY) attached to my AquaClear 20 with manual readings of about 20ppm using the PH/KH reference table. I also found a CO2 Indicator and wonder if that would be handy?
While I am ordering from bigal's is there something else I should look into getting?

you will deff need nitrogen/nitrate as its the most used fert. Yes fish waste and the biological cycle create nitrate. If you have many plants and not a lot of fish, you 100% need it.

The fish waste is converted from ammonia to nitrate in the nitrogen cycle. The plants use it up much faster then the fish produce it, so you have to add some.

As you should have a test kit you can test your tank for nitrate and when it gets to 0-5 you'll start having issues/algae if you leave it

Flourish "Comprehensive" (what you bought) has plenty of iron.

To dose Potassium, you can pick up some NoSalt (KCl) at the grocery store.

Test your Nitrate levels. If they are consistantly 20ppm or higher then you shouldn't need to dose Nitrates or Phosphates. If you do need to dose, then I'd recommend ordering dry ferts for Nitrates, Phosphates, and Potassium.

Back
Top Bottom