Few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talon242

Aquarium Advice Freak
I really like the looks of tanks with real plants. I've been reading up plants for like the past 4 or 5 hours. One formula I got from a site recommened 117 watts for my tank for low-meduim light plants. I don't know if that is right or not. The tank demensions are 36" x 15" x 20". If possible I really don't want to mess with CO2. Some plants I'm considering would be Java Fern, Crypts, Hornwort, Wisteria, Hygro, and a few others. Is there a low cost solution to adding higher wattage to a sea clear acrylic tank? The hood that came with it has a single 24", 20 Watt bulb. Also would running higher wattage risk mealting the acrylic? Thanks for baring with me lol.

the tank is about 47 gal, so 117 watts puts you at 2.5 wpg which is about medium. that's a good level for those plants you've listed. you may want to take a look at Flourish and Flourish Excel as a little boost to your plants if you don't want to inject co2. hornwort and hydro are fast growers and will suck up a lot of the nutrients that the others need, but they are good for keeping things in balance and controlling algae.

as for melting the acrylic, as long as you keep the hot lights at least a couple inches away, it shouldn't be a problem.

what is your definition of "low cost"?

Well I don't plan on doing this right away, it will give me some time to save if its too much. But if its under 100 bucks I would do it a lot sooner.

check ahsupply.com

i recently bought a 2x55 kit from then and it is top notch. a lot of other members give them equally high marks. a 1x96 kit from ahsupply might supply just as much light as 117 watts from another manufacturer...i'm not totally sure what would be best in 36" long tank...

Hmm... Whats a good way to mount the lights, I don't think my current hood would be of any use.

Edit: I just thought of making some kind of hood like thing and just hang it maybe 6" from the tank. Would this work?

you're probably right - the current hood you have isn't going to be worth much if you're going to higher light levels. if you don't have any fish that are possible jumpers, you could hang it like you said with no problem. you might consider building a canopy if you have jumpers or if evaporation is an issue.

http://ahsupply.com/finished_enclosures.htm

Lighting Questions

These enclosures look very nice. I haven't tried keeping live plants for many, many years and never really had much luck with them. But I think this was due mainly to inadequate lighting. I've been doing some reading and would like to try my hand again at keeping live plants.

I'm not at all familiar with some of these more extravagant lighting systems, so I have a few questions. Would you just have to buy the appropriate kit for the size enclosure you have? And is it difficult to put these kits together? Aside from the bulbs, is there any other hardware you would need. And what about feeding and maintenance? These don't look to be as convenient as the typical full hoods or glass tops that have hinged covers. Thanks.

I went on the kudos given here to AH Supply and bought a 6 X 55 brite light kit from them. Scan back some pages on this board and you'll discover lots of things previously written.

Note to the Administrators: Some subjects (like this one), come up so often that a sticky should be given to refer to. AH Supply gets such good press here, that if this were my site, I'd try and get them to take a banner :D

yeah, we give them enough business on referals alone...they should at least help support bandwidth costs. the more people that can come to the site in search for info, the more that will probably get referred, the more business they have! everybody wins!

In total agreement Mr Burns. The fact is AH Supply is a great company. So, it's a win/win situation.

I'm thinking his acrylic tank could handle a wood enclosure on a glass top. I mean the water will keep it relatively cool, won't it? Of course I agree, AH is by far the best bang for one's buck. A 1x96 would give him plenty of light seeing how AH Supply's reflector puts the extra 60% light down into the tank compared to the "name brands". You could call Kim at AH as he can probably answer re the heat, and is always pleasant to speak with.

ps... you should easily be able to open a glass lid with the light's enclosure on if you don't build the enclosure too wide. I can on my 26 bow, which is less than 9 inches from the back to the glass top's hinge. I choose to built my enclosure a little taller to put the ballast kind of "on top" of the reflector instead of beside it to achieve this. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom