Fibrous growth on Amazon leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It appears as though I have some sort of algae or something(?) growing on my Amazon leaves. It's on the top of some (not all) of the leaves and looks fibrous. The fish aren't eating it off. Should I trim these leaves off and throw them away? All of my plants and fish are healthy and thriving.
Thanks-D

P.S. I would post a picture, but for some unknown reason I can't seem to do it on this website.

If you can't identify it personally I'd cut the leaves off. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you can't identify it personally I'd cut the leaves off. Better to be safe than sorry.

That's what I did, thanks. I just finished switching out my manzanita branch for a nice clean sand blasted one that had already been prepared, and I heavily trimmed the plants as well as cleaned up around the base of the Chain Swords. I know we've discussed this before Rivercats, but although my Chain Swords are flourishing and sending out runners, the mother plants get black leaves. I've upped my regimen of Excel and Flourish and it seems to have helped. I added a couple of more root tabs tonight also; I don't know how long they last, but I seem to remember someone telling me that Amazons and Water Sprite both need root feeding.

Thanks again-D

Water sprite has weak roots and is not a root feeder. It pulls nutrients from the water which is why it's so good to use in new tanks, especially dirted ones.

I use root tabs with Chain swords. The brand I use needs to be added every 45 days. I don't know why they would turn black. What happens when they turn black... do they melt, stay that way or what?

Water sprite has weak roots and is not a root feeder. It pulls nutrients from the water which is why it's so good to use in new tanks, especially dirted ones.

I use root tabs with Chain swords. The brand I use needs to be added every 45 days. I don't know why they would turn black. What happens when they turn black... do they melt, stay that way or what?

They just stay black.

Thanks for clarifying the Water Sprite needs, it's doing really well; I constantly have to cut it back.

Thanks. It's really a nice plant. Mine grew really big, really fast., but I keep pruning it back.

Back
Top Bottom