Fighting "green water" with Duckweed. Will it wor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newhobbist

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have problems with "green water" and "brown algae" in my tank. Thinking of adding some fast growing undemanding plant (currently I have plastic plants only) I've read about Duckweed. It's been named the fastest growing plant in the world. However, there are many articles that state that Duckweed should not be kept in aquarium because it grows too fast and covers whole tank surface blocking light and oxygen and is almost impossibly to get rid of.
Has anyone had Duckweed in aquarium? Could you share your feedback about using this plant to clarify water?

Duckweed will not help with green water much, but it will take over the surface of your tank and is a pain to get rid of. I'd try to identify what is causing the excess nutrients feeding your algae. What are your test readings?

I'd say don't try it....I started with one leaf of duckweed that came along from the lfs.....a month later my whole tank was covered with it. Now I scoop out nets full of this stuff every few weeks.
Better try some fast growing sternplants that require low lights.
HTH!

I'd try to identify what is causing the excess nutrients feeding your algae. What are your test readings?
Water has began to get green when cycling started (when ammonia just started to rise). Now, cycling is in the middle and readings are:
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0.5
nitrate - 5.0

A week ago I checked the tank and tap water for phosphates. Both readings showed quite high levels and I added phosphate removing media to my filter, which helped with phosph., but not with green water.
I have diatom filter, which cleans water to the perfect state, but it lasts only 2-3 days.
I use one 35W fluorescent bulb for lighting for about 6-7 hours a day. Rest of a day my room is quite light, but there is no direct sunlight falling on the tank.

Better try some fast growing sternplants that require low lights.
Would you recommend any?

Back
Top Bottom