Filter carbon use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NativeTank7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys new to the forum have had my tank for roughly 6 months. Not a great start but getting there but I'm about to switch to a dirted tank for plants. Question is do I use carbon in my filter because I hear it sucks the nutrients out of the water that the plants need?

Carbon is not needed in a planted tank and yes it can pull out nutrients that plants use. You can use Purgen if you want some type of chemical filtration in the tank.

Have you done a dirted tank before? I have a dirted 220g that you can see via the link below under view Rivercats 220g planted tank. What type of lighting are you going to use? That will determine the type of plants to get.

Rivercats said:
Carbon is not needed in a planted tank and yes it can pull out nutrients that plants use. You can use Purgen if you want some type of chemical filtration in the tank.

Have you done a dirted tank before? I have a dirted 220g that you can see via the link below under view Rivercats 220g planted tank. What type of lighting are you going to use? That will determine the type of plants to get.

Yea iv did a few dirted tanks a few years back with great success but only 10 gallons. I have 2 55g now and only working on one. Not sure on the lights because they were given to me but after Christmas gonna go buy more. I want carpet plants that are hardy like jungle Val or something. Gonna get some java fern too for my rocks and drift wood.

Back
Top Bottom