Filter Media as Planted Tank Aquascape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhagwood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking for some advice from you experienced tank planters & DIY'ers!! I'm planning my first planted tank. Has anyone used filter media to create diy planted decorations? I'm envisioning a terraced hill from upper corner down to substrate.

First thought was just piling substrate into the corner, but I'd like good height (10-12") and concerned about substrate staying in place. I'm thinking I can sculpt the hill out of stacked filter media sewn together, then carve out holes for substrate for rooted plants, and attach mosses, etc. directly to media.

My concern is the effect on water quality with all the water just sitting in the sponge. I'm thinking I could run pvc all through the "hill" with holes drilled into it and attached a powerhead, essentially turning the whole thing into a sponge filter. Perhaps use a reversible power head and briefly switch directions before water changes to clean the filter a bit.

Planning on using a 29G tank (30"x12"x18" tall) that would eventually house shrimp colony (probably red cherries).
:thanks:

Deep, deep substrate can turn toxic spots forming anaerobic pockets of hydrogen sulphide.

Check out a Matten filter or Hamburg mattenfilter. It is a large sponge (sponge filter) like a big flat sponge chunk on an end or corner of the tank.

Reversing the water flow would pollute the tank with all the scum it got sucked in and trapped.

Back
Top Bottom