Filter media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, new here.

So I'm setting up my first tank, just awaiting the plants etc, but I've found myself with a lot of questions about filter media and now I'm semi-frantically trying to get the right answers.

I have an 18 gallon tall aquarium and the filter is a Marina Slim S20 filter. It'll be a live planted set-up that will house a betta and some cories, so there isn't going to be much of a bio load.

NOW, my question pertains to the filters for the marina slim. I'm sure everyone knows they come with two bio carbon filters, and... two others which I'm forgetting the names of. However I keep reading that 1. carbon is not something you constantly want in your tank and 2. these filters are crud and fall apart quickly, thus potentially ruining all your built-up bacteria colonies. Now I've heard that one doesn't need any of these 'fancy' filters, and could just use sponges or that cut-to-fit material found in pet supplies stores.

Is this true? Could I just fill the slots with the cut-to-fit stuff and everything would be OK, or is one bio carb and some cut-to-fits ok, or....what? I'm just trying to figure out a simple, cost-effective, solution that'll keep everything healthy, clean, and not cause a mess to my cycle once everything's up and running.

Thanks, guys!

I'm not familiar with that model. I can tell you that for about 7 dollars you can get a 12 in by 24 in sheet of Marineland bonded filter pad that can be cut to any size, this stuff is great and lasts though many, many risings. It is available at most pet stores or online. Here's a link with a picture:

Marineland Bonded Filter Pads at PETCO

You can certainly cut up anything you want to fit in there! I wouldn't use carbon in your filter unless you're trying to remove meds from the water. I would just use some sponge, maybe some polyfil to keep the water crystal clear, and some bio rocks of sorts (something to hold beneficial bacteria).

The bonded filter pads are what I was thinking of as the cut-to-size stuff, so thanks for being able to put a name to that lol!

Do I need the bio rocks, or would the sponges/bonded filter pads keep the the bacteria well enough? Is polyfil/batting necessary to keep the water crystal clear, or would bio rocks and doubled-up filter pads work?

Sorry for all the questions. I just don't want to eff something up, haha.

The beneficial bacteria will grow on the bonded material. I've used it as seed material more than once when setting up a new display or quarantine tank for a nearly instant cycle.

I like using a combination of material in my filters, but if all you had was a filter full of the bonded pad it would do just fine.

Ahhh, ok. If I were going to add more things for the filters, like the bio rocks, do I need to put them in something first, or just put them straight into one of the filter 'cavaties.'? (There's four spots for filter media).

You can buy really cheap media bags for them at most pet stores. But I'm sure you could put most things directly into the filter.

I bought polyester drawstring laundry bags from a local dollar store 3/$1 that have worked fine for me. I have Eheim's biomedia in it.

Back
Top Bottom