Filter with carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F.Sam

Aquarium Advice Freak
So as my exams are drawing to an end, I'm allowing myself to dream about rescaping my 5g planted.

My question is:
I've always had the following filtercartridges in my filter (superfish 100 filter) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421941621.526367.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421941655.277159.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421941692.793014.jpg

I've read somewhere that filters with carbon are not really beneficial to planted tanks. They do help achieving very clean water. But what about the ferts I plan on dosing, will they get neutralized by the carbon? If so, is it best to just remove the carbon out of the filtermedia and just use it like this.
I also used to change the filtercartridge every two months (I do clean them in the meanwhile). Can I just keep on rinsing them and reuse, reuse, reuse? Since I don't see the need to buy new cartridges if I would just have to get the carbon out..

Thanks for your input, I hope my question is clear! :) .

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Your Tank

Hello F...

If you change out the tank water often enough, you can reuse the filter media indefinitely, because there's nothing running through the filter to dirty it. Just rinse it in some of the old water and put it back. If you have fish in this 5 gallon tank, you should be changing half the water every couple of days, to keep dissolved wastes out of the tank. Water changes take the place of carbon. If you use fertilizers, you'll need to replace them immediately after you perform the water change.

B

Hi there,

So is my assumption right when I say that carbon is actually just a product that makes your water clear? And does it neutralise all the fertiliser products I put in it?
Also I do a 50% water change in all my tanks every friday, this should suffice no?

And I think I just had an epiphany. I have tried vallisneria in all my tanks. Also in the tank at my girlfriends place (she lives a city away), because I thought my water was too soft for vallisneria. All my attempts have been futile, since the vallisneria started melting days after planting.
I'm having this strange feeling that the carbon in the filtermedia might have been the culprit for these disasters. Everyone keeps saying that this is a very easy plant to grow in almost all circumstances.
A friend of mine had vallisneria as well, it was thriving. But one day her filter broke down and she had to buy a new one (she bought the same one as I have now). I think it was from that day onward that her valls started melting as well. Could this all be linked?

Using Chemical Medium

Hi there,

So is my assumption right when I say that carbon is actually just a product that makes your water clear? And does it neutralise all the fertiliser products I put in it?
Also I do a 50% water change in all my tanks every friday, this should suffice no?

And I think I just had an epiphany. I have tried vallisneria in all my tanks. Also in the tank at my girlfriends place (she lives a city away), because I thought my water was too soft for vallisneria. All my attempts have been futile, since the vallisneria started melting days after planting.
I'm having this strange feeling that the carbon in the filtermedia might have been the culprit for these disasters. Everyone keeps saying that this is a very easy plant to grow in almost all circumstances.
A friend of mine had vallisneria as well, it was thriving. But one day her filter broke down and she had to buy a new one (she bought the same one as I have now). I think it was from that day onward that her valls started melting as well. Could this all be linked?

Hello again F...

Yes. Chemical medium or carbon will help clear the water, so will changing out the tank water frequently. Half the water in small tanks should be changed out and replaced every few days. Larger tanks half weekly. The more water you remove and replace the better the environment for the fish and plants. Vals would like stronger light and any plant with roots in the substrate would like a root tab near the roots. Do three things, check the lighting requirements of the plants and provide it, keep the tank water clean and high in minerals, get a good stock of fish in the tank and feed them a balanced diet. The plants will appreciate it.

B

Yes I know how to select plants. But do you think that there is any correlation between the active carbon of the filter and the melting of the valls?

Yes I know how to select plants. But do you think that there is any correlation between the active carbon of the filter and the melting of the valls?

I find val quite hard to keep (but that would cover all plants I try lol).

I can't think of a connection with carbon. I run a small amount in the filter cartridges (these just get reused, haven't changed for 6 months).

The carbon doesn't remove nitrates or phosphates. Micros a little harder to comment on. From reading, anything organic (including some chelated micros) can be removed. But I don't see why this would melt the vals straight away.

My experience has been that dosing glut can melt them. Also phosphate ph buffers.

I used some of those filters to keep my fish from getting sucked into a pump intake, I just dumped that carbon out.

Hello again F...

Yes. Chemical medium or carbon will help clear the water, so will changing out the tank water frequently. Half the water in small tanks should be changed out and replaced every few days. Larger tanks half weekly. The more water you remove and replace the better the environment for the fish and plants. Vals would like stronger light and any plant with roots in the substrate would like a root tab near the roots. Do three things, check the lighting requirements of the plants and provide it, keep the tank water clean and high in minerals, get a good stock of fish in the tank and feed them a balanced diet. The plants will appreciate it.

B
I think it really depends on stocking levels I only do about 25% in my tanks, got a whole bunch of jungle vals, excel origonally melted them and then prazopro melted them but they are back now.

What size tank is this? I would just get a AC30 and use purigen when needed.

I have a 5g, 10g and 30g! Vals have melted in every tank me and my gf have had! I thougt that the active carbon had anything to do with it.. Maybe i'm dreaming!

I have 2 kinds of Vals, regular and corkscrew. Mine have gone insane and are running all over. My Corkscrew sent out a runner while free floating ?

I need to reset my tank and move the Vals that grew right across the front of my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've always used easycarbo in my tanks. I know the glut makes valls melt initially. But I thought that after 4months they would have bounced back again. All my other plants have grown excellent in the past. Just not this italian val.

Back
Top Bottom