Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sk3lly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Windsor. England
Posts: 2,918
Filtered water

This may be completely stupid but can you use water that has been filtered such as brita filtered water in your tank? Or spring bottled water? I know not cost effective but was curious? Would this affect plant growth as i have a planted tank. I ask this because i have what looks like small floating particles in my water. I think these are linked to the very hard water in my area
__________________

__________________
Sk3lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
I'd test the water from any type of filter you use on a faucet before using it in my tank. You'd want to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh, kh, and phosphates. Same with bottled water.

Actually I have an RO unit and when I talked to the rep a long time ago he suggested a pre-filter for the unit incase I lived in an area that had high particle levels in the tap water. So you could be right about your water. BUT those small particles might also just be from your tank if your filter isn't picking them up OR doesn't have media in it that can filter them out. I use 100% filter floss in my filters because the dirtier it gets the finer the particles it can pick up. It's very cheap and you can get it at Walmart, Target, or any craft store quite cheap for a large bag. It also lasts a long time.
__________________

__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sk3lly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Windsor. England
Posts: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
I'd test the water from any type of filter you use on a faucet before using it in my tank. You'd want to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, gh, kh, and phosphates. Same with bottled water. Actually I have an RO unit and when I talked to the rep a long time ago he suggested a pre-filter for the unit incase I lived in an area that had high particle levels in the tap water. So you could be right about your water. BUT those small particles might also just be from your tank if your filter isn't picking them up OR doesn't have media in it that can filter them out. I use 100% filter floss in my filters because the dirtier it gets the finer the particles it can pick up. It's very cheap and you can get it at Walmart, Target, or any craft store quite cheap for a large bag. It also lasts a long time.
I have a fluval u2 filter. I currently use the large sponge supplied but ive added a thin layer of floss after it. Shall i ditch the sponge and go full floss??
__________________
Sk3lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk3lly View Post
I have a fluval u2 filter. I currently use the large sponge supplied but ive added a thin layer of floss after it. Shall i ditch the sponge and go full floss??
I would try it but really pack it in there. I actually wet the floss and hold it under water while packing it in my filter baskets. Or you can get some polishing pads and cut them to fit in there.
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sk3lly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Windsor. England
Posts: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
I would try it but really pack it in there. I actually wet the floss and hold it under water while packing it in my filter baskets. Or you can get some polishing pads and cut them to fit in there.
Polishing pads?? Not heard of these before. What would they do? I appreciate the advice i would like crystal clear water
__________________
Sk3lly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Super_Blueberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Esko, MN
Posts: 651
Fluval makes them. They are pretty cheap and really effective.
__________________
Super_Blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Philly33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 468
@River- what loft filler pad are you using? I'm headed to Walmart and I've seen poly-fil from med- extra loft.
__________________
Philly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk3lly View Post
Polishing pads?? Not heard of these before. What would they do? I appreciate the advice i would like crystal clear water
Look at this link to give you an idea of what you'd be looking for.... https://www.google.com/search?source...dress&tbm=shop
__________________

__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.