filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
well since i added more fish to my 75 gal planted aquarium i noticed that i have more waste and been wondering if i should add another filter. i currently have a fluval 404 which its going a pretty good job but ill like to add another one to keep the aquarium even cleaner!!!

this are the filter i have been looking at:

Marineland Emperor 400 Filter

also i heard that the biowheels might not be good for planted tanks is this true?????

Biowheels are often said to be a not-so-great idea for co2 injected tanks. But... that's HOB filters in general, since they allow more co2 to offgas than a canister. I'd add an AC110 or another canister over a marineland filter. I've had terrible luck with them, and read a lot of similar reviews online. The 404/405 really is good for a 55g tank, but a 75 is pushing it. 2 of them would be great.

Biowheels are often said to be a not-so-great idea for co2 injected tanks. But... that's HOB filters in general, since they allow more co2 to offgas than a canister. I'd add an AC110 or another canister over a marineland filter. I've had terrible luck with them, and read a lot of similar reviews online. The 404/405 really is good for a 55g tank, but a 75 is pushing it. 2 of them would be great.

i have been looking for them for a while but havent found one big enough for my tank, most of the filters ive found are either the canisters and the emperor, also i thought the fluval 404 was rated for 100 gal aquariums???

I had the exact same problem with my 75. The water always seemed dirty with just my fluval 405. I added a power head to move the water around and a cheap tetra whisper for a 40 gallon. It seems to have done the trick. If I would have found a good deal on another 405 though I would have just doubled up. As a general rule for me, whatever the gallon rating of a filter is, I cut it in half for my tanks

Filters

Hello a...

I don't believe you need more filtration, just change out a minimum of half the tank water every week. Water changes do much more to keep the tank water clean and safe than filter equipment.

A canister filter or any other filter is just taking in toxic water and replacing it with water that's less toxic. The toxins must be removed and that's done through large and frequent water changes.

Water changes can take the place of strong filtration, but the reverse isn't so. IMO you should never rely on filtration systems to keep the tank water clean.

Just one, old, water change, fanatic's humble opinion.

B

ohhh ok i have a koralia 3 power head that i used with my reef but i have to point it upwards due that my fish are not strong enought o take the current or atleast it seems also the plants got damaged when i had it pointing straight, it wasnt that dirty untill i added the new fish and well i totally over looked the fish waste until now

Hello a...

Water changes do much more to keep the tank water safe than filter equipment.

A canister filter or any other filter is just taking in toxic water and replacing it with water that's less toxic. The toxins must be removed and that's done through large and frequent water changes.

Water changes can take the place of strong filtration, but the reverse isn't so.

Just one, old, water change, fanatic's humble opinion.

B

oh yeah absolutely i agree with that, i usually do anywhere between 50-80% pwc every week every either friday or sat, and its tuesday and it looks dirty,

If I remember, you have live bearers, right? Platies are poop machienes. I have four in my 40 and I feel like there's always poop everywhere. Sand just makes it worse, as it sticks out more. White sand more so.

You might try a powerhead (of a lesser power) pointed at the dead spots where you have accumulation. Your canister has you more than covered as far as filtration goes.

and if i was to get the emperor i might remove the power head due that the power head puts out lots of agitation, and the filter might give me just enough to get oxigen

another reason i want another filter wth good flow its that the koralia 3 that i have has 850 gph which its alot without filtering anything and i want something that could give me a good water flow and helps cleaning up the tank

cool i gotta check them out another reason on getting it its that i have a 45 dollar petco gift card (older sister got it from a friend and she hates petco so she gave it to me but it expires on the 20th of this month) so if i was to buy the filter it will practically be free cuz with taxex and free shippin online its 44.87 and in store its 72.65

abrahamavelar said:
cool i gotta check them out another reason on getting it its that i have a 45 dollar petco gift card (older sister got it from a friend and she hates petco so she gave it to me but it expires on the 20th of this month) so if i was to buy the filter it will practically be free cuz with taxex and free shippin online its 44.87 and in store its 72.65

I would go for it then if its basically free you have nothing to lose

Biowheels are great for biological filtration, not mechanical. One of their advantages is that they increase oxygen access to the bacteria, which also allows co2 to offgas. The added surface disruption will also cauze co2 to offgas. All and all, it will probably be pretty disasterous for your co2 levels.

Back
Top Bottom