Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exodus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've got a (currently) lightly planted tank, which over the next few weeks I hope to heavily plant. I just upgraded the stock lighting to 2.5wpg which means I'm probably going to eventually need some CO2 injection.

I understand that any filter with a biowheel is out because it causes the CO2 to gas off, so what would be a good filter for a 55g?

I've got the stock filter that came with the kit right now, which is (I think) an Aqua-Tech 50-70 or something like that. I'm looking for a second filter.

Suggestions? Aquaclear 110?

I'd also rather not shell out the $$$ for a canister filter.

You could replace it with a cannister. They are very plant freindly and the only choice for a tank 55 and larger in my opinion.

rich311k said:
You could replace it with a cannister. They are very plant freindly and the only choice for a tank 55 and larger in my opinion.

They're also ~$50 more than a HOB unit, correct?

well u can find that product cheaper on another site then call big als and get them to price match and knock of 5%. u will end up paying more but a filter is more appropiate for a tank that size and better for a planted tank.

I price matched my fluval 204 from bigals to drfostersmith. Bigals pricematched no problem. I really like the filter.

In the long run you may end up saving money with the canister because you won't have to replace filter media as much as with a HoB

I'd run an XP2 on a 55gal. XP3 would work, but if the cost is a big deal an XP2 will do the job too.

well, seeing as im trying to keep the cost down to save up for a CO2 system, does it have to be a canister?

not all of us have money growing on trees :D

Hi there, you're basically trying to avoid too much surface agitation, as that leads to out-gassing, which you're trying to avoid if you just spent $200+ injecting CO2:p I actually don't get much surface agitation from my Aqua Clear 30 in my 10G low-light planted, but then I don't inject CO2 in that tank either. I use ~1ml Flourish Excel daily instead. Avoid Biowheels. I remember reading that you lose 60% of injected CO2 if you use them with CO2 injection, or something to that effect. I think as long as you keep the water level constantly high such that the water doesn't have a huge drop, you'll probably be okay. Incidentally, I suspect that 2.5wpg is going to require CO2 injection sooner rather than later! Otherwise you're more than likely looking at big time algae problems. I speak from personal experience:< I use a Jebo 828 cannister that I got for $60 off Ebay on my 75G planted and it worked pretty well. I think it's worth saving up for. Good luck!

For a 55G, either the XP2 or XP3 would work good. And the XP2 still has a decent amount of space for biomedia as well.

XP2. Save yourself the money. Go to craigslist and look for cannister filters there also... that might help? But a cannister filter is definately a plus... once you use it, you wont go back. I have a biowheel and like that on my 30 gal, but it also is a low light tank w/ no CO2 :)

yeah I optied for the XP3 over the XP2, its not much more and when you upgrade tanks you wont have to get another filter, plus you can pack a ton of bio media and add extra polishing and foam pads. Cause with a planted tank you want to get rid of the carbon.

Well, I dont plan on upgrading tanks for a long time. I'm 18 and living at home, so I cant see a bigger tank coming into my future until I have my own apartment or house.

I guess I'll stick with the stock filter (Aqua-Tech) until I can save up enough for an XP2 or XP3, because it seems to be favored by far over all the HOBs.

exodus said:
I guess I'll stick with the stock filter (Aqua-Tech) until I can save up enough for an XP2 or XP3, because it seems to be favored by far over all the HOBs.

Sounds like a great plan...I've heard some people finding great deals on craigslist and EBay, so you may want to do a few searches at those sites too.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom