Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 38 gallon and my original filter broke so now I'm using a temporary filter. But this filter causes a lot of current and none of my plants are happy. My crypts have rotting leaves because of it (I know it's because of the current because nothing else has changed), which has caused more algae growth.

Anyways, I got a replacement Aquaclear 70, but that has even more current and it made the fish very unhappy too. So I need filtration that makes little current. So I was thinking of getting two Aquaclear 20s. I have one on my 20g and they make very little current. If I got two of them, would I have sufficient filtration? Or would it not be enough?

My final stock is going to be:
4 platies
5 cory cats
14 neon tetras
1 dwarf gourami

(I might also add another school if I can fit one).

:thanks:

The Aquaclear 70 has adjustable flow - Can't you just turn it down? also, try using the tab at the back to aim it so it drops onto the surface. If it does a "waterfall" into the tank, you'll get a lot of current, but if you have it pour gently onto the surface of the water it'll be a lot les snoticeable.

I have an Aquaclear 50 and 20 on my 38 gallon, I find the flow to be perfect.

You can try that lip extension DYI I posted on your 20 gallon journey thread back on 11-18. I can repost it if you want. You can further modify it by bending the lip that hits the water even further up; this should disrupt the flow a bit and hopefully spread it out laterally.

Attachments

• image-1319943891.jpg
    image-1319943891.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 68
I turned the flow to the lowest I can but all my fish still hate it. I don't have the materials to do the lip extension, but it is a good idea Fresh2o. Could I do a couple of 30s instead of the 20s?

I turned the flow to the lowest I can but all my fish still hate it. I don't have the materials to do the lip extension, but it is a good idea Fresh2o. Could I do a couple of 30s instead of the 20s?

You could do that. Both scenarios have a flow rate of 300 gph (using the AC30s). However, spreading it out amongst two outputs might help. When I was running two HOBs, the surface currents seemed to work against each other.

I'll definitely switch to that! So I have one last question. Could I do one 30 and one 20? Because in my 20gal tank I have an Aquaclear 20 but it won't be enough once I complete the stock so I was thinking of buying to 30s and moving one of the 20s upstairs.

What about using a canister filter? A Rena XP2 should be ideal for your planted tank and you could just use the spraybar to reduce direct flow.

They're really expensive. I wouldn't be able to get one until February for my birthday, and I need to solve this problem before my crypts shed all their leaves. I did consider a canister but then I saw the cost. Would the Aquaclear 30 and 20 work or should I just go with all 30s?

There is a recent thread entitled "Good 10gallon filter?" and it mentions using a sponge to reduce current. This might work for you as well.

There is a recent thread entitled "Good 10gallon filter?" and it mentions using a sponge to reduce current. This might work for you as well.

I had to put a sponge over the outflow on my TopFin 10 filter for my 5.5g because the outflow was too strong for my Betta. I just cut it to size and attached it with a rubber band.

Back
Top Bottom