Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reyma10

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will a aqueon 55/75 filter be way to much for a 20g long aquarium my plans are to have a planted tank will it disturb my substrate alot or is there a ways to lower or distribute the the flow of water coming out of the filter?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

that's a LOT of filtration!

Hi reyma10:

That sounds like overkill for a 20 gallon! The Aqueons have a gentler outflow than some other HOBs, but that size filter on a 20g could still create a lot of turbulence. I don't believe the Aqueons have a way to control the flow. There are Aqueons rated for smaller tanks; could you get one of those or do you already have the 55/75?

You could put a sponge pre-filter on the Aqueon's intake tube; that might slow the rate down slightly. Some of the folks here might have some recommendations for you about ways to baffle the outflow or at least redirect it away from your plants.

Another option for a 20g would be air-driven filters like sponge or box/corner. They're pretty gentle in terms of flow and would provide enough biofiltration for a tank your size.

-Yorg

Will a aqueon 55/75 filter be way to much for a 20g long aquarium my plans are to have a planted tank will it disturb my substrate alot or is there a ways to lower or distribute the the flow of water coming out of the filter?

Thanks for the feedback its that i have two aqueon 55/75 laying around doing nothing and i didnt want to go out and buy another filter

To reyma10

I understand completely! In that case, what you may want to do is rig up a flat piece of inert plastic under the outflow of the Aqueon filter to deflect/disperse the water as it enters the tank. Position the flat piece so that it's parallel to the surface of the tank water (you might have to use something like a binder clip to attach it to the lip of the filter outflow) and let the filter outflow hit it and spread out a bit as it enters the tank. rather the 'waterfall' you get from the outflow.

Somebody here in the forum might have a DIY suggestion for you along these lines. Good luck with the tank!

-Yorg

Thanks for the feedback its that i have two aqueon 55/75 laying around doing nothing and i didnt want to go out and buy another filter

Back
Top Bottom