Filtration and Planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g tank that I'm going to begin planting. What would be a good filter to use. I'm currently using Aqua Tech filters (2). I read that a charcoal filter isn't good for the plants. I have gouramis, rainbows, angels, rosy barbs, corys and bn pleco in this tank. I've never had a planted tank before and just don't know what is best. :dance:

I love my aqua clear a lot. I can adjust the flow rate of the water, and also it keeps things pretty clean!

Filtration is kind of more nuanced point in planted tanks. It only really matters in CO2 injected systems.

Honestly, canister filters are your #1 choice, and others will cause lose of CO2, but if you're not injecting (or are using pressurized), it's not going to be a big deal.

Activated carbon is a big debate. Some people think that it takes necessary nutrients out of the water column. I don't use it personally, but I think that it's probably a trivial difference at best.

Actually, a tank that is not CO2 supplemented will probably have more CO2 with a high flow filter, with lots of surface agitation. As the plants use up the CO2, more will be introduced from the air, more quickly.

Actually, a tank that is not CO2 supplemented will probably have more CO2 with a high flow filter, with lots of surface agitation. As the plants use up the CO2, more will be introduced from the air, more quickly.

I'd disagree with this, based on personal experience. I have a 75 gallon heavily planted tank with pressurized CO2, dosed, 216w of T5 sitting over the top of it, an XP4, a couple small powerheads, and eco substrate. I think its fair enough to call it high tech and well setup.

However, with my CO2 off, with minimal surface agitation, adjusted by the placement of my XP4 spraybar, the oxygen level in the water is lower than when the spraybar is adjusted to increase surface agitation.

The lower oxygen content in the water column is evidenced by the more oxygen sensitive fish in the tank frequently gasping at the surface and showing signs of having difficulty breathing. I even lost 1 of them because of it. As soon as I increased surface agitation(still with my CO2 setup off), everyone perked right up and became much more active.

I'd disagree with this, based on personal experience. I have a 75 gallon heavily planted tank with pressurized CO2, dosed, 216w of T5 sitting over the top of it, an XP4, a couple small powerheads, and eco substrate. I think its fair enough to call it high tech and well setup.

However, with my CO2 off, with minimal surface agitation, adjusted by the placement of my XP4 spraybar, the oxygen level in the water is lower than when the spraybar is adjusted to increase surface agitation.

The lower oxygen content in the water column is evidenced by the more oxygen sensitive fish in the tank frequently gasping at the surface and showing signs of having difficulty breathing. I even lost 1 of them because of it. As soon as I increased surface agitation(still with my CO2 setup off), everyone perked right up and became much more active.

While that is true, is doesn't disprove or even question what BillD is say. If anything, it proves what he's saying, as what works for oxygen analagously works for CO2. Remember that CO2 and O2 levels are completely independent of each other.

While that is true, is doesn't disprove or even question what BillD is say. If anything, it proves what he's saying, as what works for oxygen analagously works for CO2. Remember that CO2 and O2 levels are completely independent of each other.

While I can see where you are coming from, I'm not totally sure about it. I suppose it would depend on the CO2 content of that particular area. The increased surface agitation would indeed lead to an increase in gas exchange, I'm just not sure that the tank would be picking up more CO2 instead of off-gassing it. I'd definitely be interested in seeing some hard numbers from someone that's done some testing!

Your 55 G

I have a 55g tank that I'm going to begin planting. What would be a good filter to use. I'm currently using Aqua Tech filters (2). I read that a charcoal filter isn't good for the plants. I have gouramis, rainbows, angels, rosy barbs, corys and bn pleco in this tank. I've never had a planted tank before and just don't know what is best. :dance:

Hello Malti...

Whatever filter you're used to using is likely best. I prefer Aqua Clear filters, but I'm used to them. Using a bit of charcoal will keep tank odors down, I use a small charcoal pad. Charcoal really isn't crucial for a planted tank, because regular and large water changes do more to filter your tank water than carbon.

If you want to have success with plants, just remove half the tank water every week and dose a good fertilizer when you do the water change.

B

CO2 and O2 are not independent of each other, there is a limited volume.
however, in regard to the hobbyist - the amounts we deal with are not significant
you can kill your fish easily though if you dont do it properly

without a doubt you need a filter
gouramis are little pigs
the argument about charcoal really only applies to people with hard to grow or elaborate setup plants. You don't need to worry about any of it. most common aquarium plants will do just fine.
there really is no other practical option to keep the water clean for most people.
keep in mind, not having a proper light for plants will do far more harm than running a filter.

so what it really comes down to, is what type of plants do you want to have?

CO2 and O2 are not independent of each other, there is a limited volume.
however, in regard to the hobbyist - the amounts we deal with are not significant
you can kill your fish easily though if you dont do it properly

This is not correct. Both CO2 and O2 gases are in a dynamic equilibrium with CO2 and O2 dissolved. Too much in solution and they off-gas. To little and more enters the system than exits until equilibrium levels are reached again, when the same amount enters as exists. There is absolutely no volume dependency. It is impossible to maintain a level of dissolved O2 where volume would even by non-negligible.

Important to note is that the equilibriums of CO2 and O2 are completely independent of one another. They do not interact.

you are talking about the gases solubility across the atmosphere, which is not the concern.
I am talking about ppm and you will kill your fish if you pump too much Co2.

from my experience, the average aquarium owner can barely manage a monthly water change, telling them not to use a filter and grab a bucket is silly. People should be doing water changes in conjunction with a filter, anyway.

but I guess if you are visiting this forum that would make you an advanced hobbyist, so prioritizing the plants health over the fishes might be something new to try.

anyway, have fun with whatever you decide.

potatochobit said:
you are talking about the gases solubility across the atmosphere, which is not the concern.
I am talking about ppm and you will kill your fish if you pump too much Co2.

from my experience, the average aquarium owner can barely manage a monthly water change, telling them not to use a filter and grab a bucket is silly. People should be doing water changes in conjunction with a filter, anyway.

but I guess if you are visiting this forum that would make you an advanced hobbyist, so prioritizing the plants health over the fishes might be something new to try.

anyway, have fun with whatever you decide.

We were talking about both forms of co2. Regardless, it holds true for either. The fundamental relationships arr the same.

No one is suggesting not having a filter. The discussion is about using carbon. Anyone who thinks no filter will be fine shouldnt mess with aquariums.

Similarly, if you cant do weekly partial water changes, even just small 20% ones, you shouldn't have a tank. Its all part of being a respectable pet owner. Saying once a month is ok is like saying cleaning your cats litter once a month is ok.

Gotta add I love my AquaClear 70 and Fluval C4 on my 55g planted (both turned down to lowest flow setting).

Back
Top Bottom