Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Filtration ? for planted tanks (no fish)

Going through this forum I'm amazed by the skill, beauty, and creativeness of these planted tanks many of you have.

For those of you doing planted only tanks what kind of filtration do you incorporate? How do you determine how much filtration you need? Do you still perform water changes or is that not necessary? Do you still have to cycle a plant only tank? OK i had a few ?'s.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

for planted tanks, plants have been my main filters. Still need powerhead for gentle-medium current.

Yes water changes still required just not as often. Understock aquarium, have good lighting for 7-8 hrs a day.

Live plants will instantly eat up any ammonia nitrates. wont see much of a cycle. Nature via plants is much faster than bacteria based cycling.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

In a 20g long I've used an Aqua Clear 50. At one time I used two of them. Currently using a canister (at 13x turnover...a bit over kill). There is good water movement in the tank.
Water changes once a week. 30-40%. I don't vacuum the gravel. I add daily fertilizers.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Joe...

If you're going with a plant only tank you still need good aeration and regular water changes. An air stone attached with plastic tubing to an air pump will keep the water moving for gas exchange and the regular water changes will replenish trace elements and maintain healthy oxygen levels for the plants.

Nitrogen isn't toxic to plants, so you don't need to cycle the tank. The plants will use all forms of nitrogen as a nutrient.

B
Old 12-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you for your info, right now I have a 75 gallon with 4 amazon swords. Will be adding more plants in January. I am interested in starting a plant only tank, right now just fishing for info.Click image for larger version

Name:	1482938549401.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	292380
Old 12-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmvaldon View Post
for planted tanks, plants have been my main filters. Still need powerhead for gentle-medium current.

Yes water changes still required just not as often. Understock aquarium, have good lighting for 7-8 hrs a day.

Live plants will instantly eat up any ammonia nitrates. wont see much of a cycle. Nature via plants is much faster than bacteria based cycling.
how heavily planted does a tank have to be for this to be a benefit?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

depends on number of fish. a couple good healthy plants say 6-8" tall ones like water wisteria will be a huge impact on water quality.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmvaldon View Post
depends on number of fish. a couple good healthy plants say 6-8" tall ones like water wisteria will be a huge impact on water quality.
only have one betta and one shrimp... I'll be picking done of that you 😊 thanks

Tags
filtration, fish, plant, planted, planted tank, planted tanks, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com