Filtration guide for the planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
the follow post assumes an aquarium with more than 2 watts per gallon (bright lighting) and CO2 injection (DIY or pressurized)

Choosing the right filter for a planted tank isn't too difficult. For tanks 40gallons and up, you'll want a reliable canister filter that's rated for the size of your tank. Eheim, Filstar, and Fluval are the most likely candidates.

Smaller tanks can use powerfilters/HOB's, but you need to avoid biowheels. These agitate the water quite a bit, outgassing a ton of CO2. If you're budget only allows a power filter, don't fret...just keep the tank water level high to minimize the 'waterfall effect' of the water return. I've found AquaClear brand HOB's to be the best: partially for their easy-to-customize filter media, and because they don't use those carbon filted, filter-floss wrapped cartridges. (carbon only lasts 7 days, and isn't necessary or desirable in the planted tank)

Really small 'nano' tanks can often utilize the tiny internal filters made by Fluval and the Marineland 'duetto'. This is what I use for my 5gallon betta tank.

In unplanted tanks, there's no reason you can't over filter or have extra current...but in a planted setup, you don't want to exceed 5x turnover per hour. Your filter's primary operation in a planted tank is mechanical filtration, not biological. The plants are going to help prevent any ammonia spikes, so nitrite shouldn't ever be an issue. Its pretty common to use an extra powerhead at the opposite end as your HOB/canister return, just to give a little better circulation. You don't want dead spots, but it doesn't need to be a spinning vortex of current.

Undergravel filters are NOT to be used in the planted tank. The general consensus is that the suction created on the plates of the UGF can interfere with root growth, and that the roots of other plants will become entangled in the grate. Plus UGF's need to be pulled and cleaned annually, and that's a huge pain with plants, and plant substrates like flourite, which always leaves a cloud when disturbed.

Lastly, do NOT run carbon/charcoal in your filter. It will strip out certain trace nutrients in the water...nutrients the plants need. In a densley planted tank, the plants are a big part of your filtration system. Plus, carbon only lasts 7 days, and it's primary purpose is removing medications, and odors from the water. A properly maintained planted tank will have a slight 'earthy' smell. If the tank stinks like fish, you're not keeping up on water changes and/or may be over-stocked.

On a roll with the stickies today. Another great one!

I'm not sure what the rule is for posting in stickies here, but I have a question:
We all know that I have goldfish in my 29 gallon (2 of them). I'm turning over just over 10x filtration. You mention that 5x is ideal. With my "messy" fish, should I try and turn it down to 5x (remove the Penguin) or keep it at the 10x? Which is the greater evil I suppose?

If I should keep it at 10x, then should I remove the BIO-wheel from the penguin and make it just a mechanical filtration? I keep my water level above the HOB returns, but I still get minimal agitation and rippling.

Again, great stickie!

Since you have fish not typically kept in a planted tank, and they're a bit heavier on waste production, it wouldn't hurt to exceed 5x turnover.
If you inject CO2, I'd ditch the bio-wheel. Someone did a test once running a tank without a biowheel, testing CO2, and then added the biowheel and tested CO2 a couple days later, and about 60% of CO2 was lost with the biowheel.

Is there a filtration guide for the low-light planted aquarium?
Correct media to use or not use in a canister filter?

this finally makes sense why my plants hardly grow much, i have the carbon bio bag filter :( can i just dump out the carbon to help? or buy a different filter?

Malkore, I noticed you're in Nebraska like me. Do you still not use carbon despite the fact that our water comes from underground wells and is laced with farming chemicals?

Nope, in fact I rarely use carbon in my SW tank.

The water in Lincoln comes from an aquafir, not a well. My water has never tested positive for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or phosphate. dKh of 10, dGh of 14, pH of 7.8 rested.

pretty normal water here.

Cool, I was just worried about pesticides or herbicides that may find their way down to the aquafir. But if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me. (y)

unless you live in Lincoln I would suggest that you test your tapwater.. I live in a city but.. there is a well maintained golf course right up against the lake thats used for tap water here.. so I have trace PO4 readings.. HTH

Plants as filters:
http://www.aquabotanic.com/plants_and_biological_filtration.htm -- Diana Walstad's article and measurements
http://www.sfbaaps.com/articles/barr_03.html -- Tom Barr's article
(thanks rkilling1)

Sump/Fuge/Wet Dry for high light planted:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=63074

Emergent plant filters:
http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/plantfilter.html -- DataGuru's Natural/Walstad-inspired filter/sump
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=61681-- paludarium in a sump

Back
Top Bottom