finally moving the 75 gallon planted tank!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
well i just found out that ill have to move the tank this coming friday or saturday.

i have a few questions:

#1 how can i doit to have the minimum stress level on my fish???
#2 after moving the tank do i have to re acclimate the fish to the new water even if i save 14+ gallons???
#3 how long after setting the tank in its new place should i let it sit before adding the fish back???
#4 will i have a mini cycle even if i kept the bacteria alive???
#5 can i keep the plants in or should i take them out????
and last but no least:

should i leave the lights on or off for the rest of the day???

another room, it was supposed to be the fish room but its gonna be the family room with a few tanks for now the future fish room has to be fixed busted wall door and plugs, but this place should be good for atleast 6 months

abrahamavelar said:
well i just found out that ill have to move the tank this coming friday or saturday.

i have a few questions:

#1 how can i doit to have the minimum stress level on my fish???
#2 after moving the tank do i have to re acclimate the fish to the new water even if i save 14+ gallons???
#3 how long after setting the tank in its new place should i let it sit before adding the fish back???
#4 will i have a mini cycle even if i kept the bacteria alive???
#5 can i keep the plants in or should i take them out????
and last but no least:

should i leave the lights on or off for the rest of the day???

Ok that's an easy move. :)
1. Quickly and calmly.
2. No as long as you temp match the new water.
3. IMO 5 or so minutes is fine.
4. No. Nothing is being changed but the water so your only loosing a minuscule amount like a PWC.
5. Leave them in. Drain as much water as you can then carefully move the tank and refill it with dechloinated water
I would leave the lights off for the rest of the day just to keep them calm.

ohhhh ok cool =) im gonna do this one like i always do 7 gallon bucket style but maybe next or the following pwc im gonna use a python, im really not sure on how to use it correctly at the moment, i mean idk how and when to add the dechlor/prime and if the water should keep running while the tank its being siphoned i personally wouldnt think but i never had one but im getting one this week hopefully one wednesday

abrahamavelar said:
ohhhh ok cool =) im gonna do this one like i always do 7 gallon bucket style but maybe next or the following pwc im gonna use a python, im really not sure on how to use it correctly at the moment, i mean idk how and when to add the dechlor/prime and if the water should keep running while the tank its being siphoned i personally wouldnt think but i never had one but im getting one this week hopefully one wednesday

I've never used a python but from what I've heard they waste a lot of water if you use the tap to syphon the water. What I do when I PWC on my 70g is:
Turn off filter and heater.
Start the syphon and drain the water out a window or door into the garden.
When you've removed the amount of water you want, test the water temp and connect to the tap.
Add prime for the WHOLE amount of water that will be in the tank.
Fill the tank.
Wait 20 minutes or so just to make sure the prime has worked then turn filters and heater back on. And your done!
Very easy.

ohhhh ok thats what i was planning on doing just start it like a regular siphone then turn the water on but wast completely sure thx =)

what i need to do its check on how to use a python to fill the tank back up i have never used it b4 due that i used rodi water in the past but now i might have to use it cuz i get tired of doing big pwc (60-80%) weekly wit a bucket

abrahamavelar said:
ohhhh ok thats what i was planning on doing just start it like a regular siphone then turn the water on but wast completely sure thx =)

what i need to do its check on how to use a python to fill the tank back up i have never used it b4 due that i used rodi water in the past but now i might have to use it cuz i get tired of doing big pwc (60-80%) weekly wit a bucket

Thats a lot of buckets! Python will make life so much simpler. :)

and another reason of gettin the python is that when i move the tank to the fish room its gonna be alot further to a sink that it already is, its not that im lazy but im planning on keeping multiple tanks and do the maintenance the same day and ill be dead tired by the end of the 2nd large tank

Back
Top Bottom