finally upgraded my lighting.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
60 gallon 48"x13" and two feet deep top to bottom. I got an 48" aquatic life dual t5ho with one 65k white bulb and one rosette bulb. (what exactly does the rosette bulb do?) Currently I only have low light plants, but looking to add some colored plants if possible. Are there any plants with color (outside of green) that could be supported by my light?

I have java fern, anubias, java moss and amazon swords. i use seachem root tabs for the swords and i dose seachem flourish comprehensive liquid ferts. I also dose a few times a week with api liquid c02 booster. any suggestions are appreciated. feel free to expand suggestions or warnings or any other pertinent info that i may not have asked for.

Also, I see a yellow tint now. Is this normal with these lights? I did have a tannin problem, but bought a big bottle of purigen with a couple of the purigen bags and filled them up and put in my ac110 and ac70 filters so the tannin issue has not been a problem lately.

anyone got any insight as to why i now have a yellow tint with this new light?

Pink rosette bulbs are just high red spectrum bulbs. If you put in some non green plants it will not only help them look better colored but will help with overall plant coloring/growth. When your not used to using lower spectrum lighting it looks dim and often yellow. I prefer using Geisemann 6000K Midday bulbs as they give a great color spectrum and make plants and fish look great. They also really aid in providing the correct spectrum for plants to color up under. I don't even use rosette bulbs with them.

Plants you could use would be Limnophila hippuroides, Cabomba furcate, Rotala Macrandra, Rotala Wallichii, and Alternanthera reineckii. Just remember that non green plants do best when nitrates are kept around 10ppm and phosphates are at least 2ppm. A little extra iron (not tons) can also help but the first two plus higher light is what I've found produces the best colors.

Put a little tank water in a white cup. If it looks like pale tea then your Purgin needs recharging.

I also suggest using 1ml of liquid carbon per 5 gallons of tank water "daily". This keeps a consistant level of carbon in solution which helps plant with photosynthesis and growth.

Pink rosette bulbs are just high red spectrum bulbs. If you put in some non green plants it will not only help them look better colored but will help with overall plant coloring/growth. When your not used to using lower spectrum lighting it looks dim and often yellow. I prefer using Geisemann 6000K Midday bulbs as they give a great color spectrum and make plants and fish look great. They also really aid in providing the correct spectrum for plants to color up under. I don't even use rosette bulbs with them.

Plants you could use would be Limnophila hippuroides, Cabomba furcate, Rotala Macrandra, Rotala Wallichii, and Alternanthera reineckii. Just remember that non green plants do best when nitrates are kept around 10ppm and phosphates are at least 2ppm. A little extra iron (not tons) can also help but the first two plus higher light is what I've found produces the best colors.

Put a little tank water in a white cup. If it looks like pale tea then your Purgin needs recharging.

I also suggest using 1ml of liquid carbon per 5 gallons of tank water "daily". This keeps a consistant level of carbon in solution which helps plant with photosynthesis and growth.

wow, after googling those plants I am even more pleased with this light if they really can support them. where can a person find those plants? I checked aquariumplants.com, but could not find many from your list. I think I only found one.

AquariumPlants.com carries all of them unless they are out of stock. Here is their page and all are in stock except for the Rotala Macrandra... Bunched Plants. Ludwigia Repens (also called Ludwigia Broadleaf would be another good plant.

You can also check out ExtraPlants.com

I have furcata, wallichi, and reineckii at the moment. The other two I've tried but they don't ship very well so I've opted out at least till it cools down for the year.

so jeta, are you saying you have those for sale?

Back
Top Bottom