Finnex 24/7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gemach7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok finally upgrading the light to my 55 gallon community tank.

Ordered the finnex 24/7 planted 48".

Would I need to start dosing carbon gas to my tank to avoid algae or is this unit still low enough on par and pur to continue using Flourish Excell?
I mainly ask for algae control rather than plant growth. So instead of CO2 if required could I use a uv sterilizer?

Current plants are assorted Swords, Anubis, and Java fern.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 24/7 and run a gas CO2 and still get algae... so my sense is that Flourish Excel alone isn't going to cut it.

I have a 24/7 and run a gas CO2 and still get algae... so my sense is that Flourish Excel alone isn't going to cut it.

That could be for any set of reasons. Incorrect balance of ferts, not enough dissolved CO2, etc. A 24/7 is also dimmable correct? The OP could dim the light if they feel they cannot handle the amount of light. Many people like Rivercats (an old member here) ran excellent tanks with far more light using only liquid CO2 supplements. I feel like you would be fine with a single 24/7 over a 55 with exel.

I'd recommend dosing glut instead of excel for the simple fact that it'll cost you WAAAAY less to adequately dose a 55g tank to keep algae at bay. If you dose heavier than typical excel dosing, the added presence of "glut" will not only add the carbon to support plant growth but the active ingredient also acts as a mild algaecide. Read this thread here and as Dallascowboys16 said, Rivercats was our resident authority on Glut dosing. She has great input on this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/seachem-flourish-excel-vs-metricide-14-a-284352.html

Large dosing of excel will work very well for you. It can be safely dosed up to 1ml / gallon so dont be afraid to increase the dose. If yoh do buy metricide, just remember that its 2x as strong as excel.

I ran a 55g that had 4 t5ho lights with 30ml of excel daily with no algae growth.

Also keep in mind, your tank is 21in tall.. @ 20in the 24/7 will be about 45 par direct, 40 @ 6in off center. So even if you add 2-3in of substrate you're still high 40 for par.

depth/offset 1" 6"
12" - 75
16" - 65
18" - 48 45
20" - 45 40

Thank you all for the replies will look into the metricide 14 a LFS near me went out of business so I stocked up on 60% off Excell bottles so have quite a bit for the time being.

Also keep in mind, your tank is 21in tall.. @ 20in the 24/7 will be about 45 par direct, 40 @ 6in off center. So even if you add 2-3in of substrate you're still high 40 for par.

depth/offset 1" 6"

12" - 75

16" - 65

18" - 48 45

20" - 45 40

Thanks I was looking for a par rating on the light and couldn't find one lol.

Ok next question or should Make a new post? Lol

Current hood setup(2 24") is incompatible with the new light.

My thoughts were to stain 2x4's the same colour as DIY stand and using a Dremel tool notch the inside so I can slide glass inside. And surrounding 3 sides(back without 2x4 to allow room for HOBs)

I don't want to go hoodless as my smaller saltwater tank loses more water than this tank and my ro/di is too small to add an auto topoff to this tank if evap losses goes drastically upwards.

Is there a simpler solution that's not egg crates?

I have some of the 24/7 predecessors (FugeRay, Planted+) and I did not like how the mounting legs did not sit completely flush with the tank's rim. The inner ledge of the rim prevented this from happening. Also, it seemed like thumbscrews on the clamp portion of the mounting leg were making partial contact with the very upper edge of the rim. It did not feel secure. On top of that, with the glass canopy in place, the aforementioned mounting legs would not even clamp on at all.
So I built some rails out of PVC and mounted them onto the tank's rim. The rails provided more area for the mounting legs to clamp onto. You can see a pict of them in post #12 on the following thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324890

Ok next question or should Make a new post? Lol

Current hood setup(2 24") is incompatible with the new light.

My thoughts were to stain 2x4's the same colour as DIY stand and using a Dremel tool notch the inside so I can slide glass inside. And surrounding 3 sides(back without 2x4 to allow room for HOBs)

I don't want to go hoodless as my smaller saltwater tank loses more water than this tank and my ro/di is too small to add an auto topoff to this tank if evap losses goes drastically upwards.

Is there a simpler solution that's not egg crates?

Got a PIC to see what were working with, I'm having a hard time imagining it.

I have some of the 24/7 predecessors (FugeRay, Planted+) and I did not like how the mounting legs did not sit completely flush with the tank's rim. The inner ledge of the rim prevented this from happening. Also, it seemed like thumbscrews on the clamp portion of the mounting leg were making partial contact with the very upper edge of the rim. It did not feel secure. On top of that, with the glass canopy in place, the aforementioned mounting legs would not even clamp on at all.
So I built some rails out of PVC and mounted them onto the tank's rim. The rails provided more area for the mounting legs to clamp onto. You can see a pict of them in post #12 on the following thread: One or two planted + lights - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

They must have changed their legs in 24/7, because my legs are 2 pieces and the piece on the inside of the aquarium now separates from the main piece (i guess that piece is for rimless tanks).

-m1FIBmQYYwvfE4iG72q33L5Usyid9AjuptdU-wTI9U=w1284-h963-no

They must have changed their legs in 24/7, because my legs are 2 pieces and the piece on the inside of the aquarium now separates from the main piece (i guess that piece is for rimless tanks).

-m1FIBmQYYwvfE4iG72q33L5Usyid9AjuptdU-wTI9U=w1284-h963-no

Zero - I believe that is the case. Now that I think about it, I recall that the inner portion of the Planted+'s mounting bracket had a separate piece of plastic that is most likely detachable.
OP- Do you think removal of the inner bracket as Zero described might help in your case?

Zero - I believe that is the case. Now that I think about it, I recall that the inner portion of the Planted+'s mounting bracket had a separate piece of plastic that is most likely detachable.
OP- Do you think removal of the inner bracket as Zero described might help in your case?

Regardless of if they changed it or not I will have to change my hood as it's the fact I have 2 24" hoods not the bracket creating the issue I for see.

I may try to create to visual connection with my stand without actually creating a functional use. Like surrounding a glass aqueoun top without connecting it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1439868524.311790.jpg
Came in early so haven't had a chance to build a hood or add any plants.

Sorry for awful picture didn't want to use a flash lol.

Will post as I see changes in plant growth and any plants I add and to give a review on the lights on my liquid co2 system.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440244957.263832.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440244957.263832.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440244957.263832.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 100
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440514209.621605.jpg
Day 3 with 24/7

Had done a water change just before picture so fish are hiding. Cleaned the glass and covered the glare from my lights to get a better picture.

First thoughts on the light is the cycle seems neat but not sure it really matches a sunset and sunrise tbh. The moon light is very low compared to other lights I have used and does interfere with people's sleeping. Will post more info as a I see more change in plants to say how they fair.

Back
Top Bottom