Finnex Planted + 24/7 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've got to say that I am impressed with this new light. I do have a question concerning which feature I should use. The first option is to keep the light on 24/7 mode, and the second option is to use its normal lighting and use the dimmer. This tank is designed to be a low maintenance tank that has Buces, Crypts, Anubias, etc., so I don't know if the 24/7 feature would give off too much light. This light is a 36" fixture, and my tank is 36" x 12" x 16", with the light being approximately 16-16.5" away from the substrate. What do you think? Should I stick with the 24/7 mode, or use a dimmer on its normal mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use 24/7 mode, it's only at 100% for a relatively short time. I like the fact I can watch plants go through their natural day to night opening and closing, the leaves actually close up towards evening. You can see the difference between these two pics. I'd say experiment and see which does best for you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451150324.161905.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451150324.161905.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 73
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451150343.669866.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451150343.669866.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 71
Highest par during 24/7 mode is at high noon...ramps up to that point & of course back down afterwards..Will you be supplying pressurized co2?

sit in silence...

I keep mine at max all day bc I have water lettuce and water hyacinth that love the high light, and I position them so low light plants don't get too much light. It also really brings out the fish's colors. I just ordered a second one for my 40g.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use 24/7 mode, it's only at 100% for a relatively short time. I like the fact I can watch plants go through their natural day to night opening and closing, the leaves actually close up towards evening. You can see the difference between these two pics. I'd say experiment and see which does best for you.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Is that a little blue dream shrimp I see???

Highest par during 24/7 mode is at high noon...ramps up to that point & of course back down afterwards..Will you be supplying pressurized co2?

sit in silence...

Yes, I will. My only concern would be algae considering that I have slow growing plants.

Yes, I will. My only concern would be algae considering that I have slow growing plants.

Otos or a twig catfish can help out with that. They keep my 55g completely clean

I would run it manually on the lower side since the plants you have are not demanding when it comes to lighting. Typically, the higher the light, the trickier it is to keep that light-fert-CO2 balance. The plants at lower light will still benefit from CO2. I would rather deal with slower plant growth than deal with algae.

Would you guys consider this light a high level light when it's at max?

Would you guys consider this light a high level light when it's at max?

Depends on the depth. It's is a bit stronger than its predecessor the Planted+. At 12", the PAR value of the Planted+ is around 61-65. This is considered medium light (assuming 10-30 is low, 30-80 is med, 80+ is high). CO2 injection and daily PPS pro. Growing plants is least of my worries.
I don't have a PAR chart for the 24/7 (you can google it).
It's best feature is the dimming capability which will be useful in the OP's slower growing, low light demanding plants.

Depends on the depth. It's is a bit stronger than its predecessor the Planted+. At 12", the PAR value of the Planted+ is around 61-65. This is considered medium light (assuming 10-30 is low, 30-80 is med, 80+ is high). CO2 injection and daily PPS pro. Growing plants is least of my worries.
I don't have a PAR chart for the 24/7 (you can google it).
It's best feature is the dimming capability which will be useful in the OP's slower growing, low light demanding plants.

Okay thanks

I would run it manually on the lower side since the plants you have are not demanding when it comes to lighting. Typically, the higher the light, the trickier it is to keep that light-fert-CO2 balance. The plants at lower light will still benefit from CO2. I would rather deal with slower plant growth than deal with algae.

I'd run it at 50% 8hrs daily..

sit in silence...

Sounds like a good plan. More viewing time and a healthy, slow growing tank. Now I just need to figure out how to properly dim it ?. Haha, I'm always bad with new technology. I know that there are 4 memory slots, but it appears that each color has to be individually dimmed, correct?

Sounds like a good plan. More viewing time and a healthy, slow growing tank. Now I just need to figure out how to properly dim it ?. Haha, I'm always bad with new technology. I know that there are 4 memory slots, but it appears that each color has to be individually dimmed, correct?

Alright, I got it figured out. Now it's just a matter of finding the best color combinations. Do you guys personally have any favorites? Or should I just do 50% green, 50% blue, 50% red, and 50% white?

Back
Top Bottom