Finnex planted + vs Ray 2 for 50g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 50g dirted is 48" long x 19" tall, from substrate to top its 16". I want to be moderate to high lighting but not too much light. Would the Ray 2 or the planted plus be better? With the ray 2 it seems I will have to reduce the par slightly but using screening or a glass cover or some floating plants.

Even so the Planted+ is less light (less PAR) than the Ray 2, IMO, I think it's a better light due to it being more close to full spectrum with the supplemented red diodes. I found that when I ran a Ray 2, it grows plants great and all... but colors didn't really pop as well. Besides, if you think you should add window screen to the Ray 2 to tame the light, it already sounds like the Planted+ is a 'better fit' for your application. Congratulations, sounds like you answered your own question :)

Even so the Planted+ is less light (less PAR) than the Ray 2, IMO, I think it's a better light due to it being more close to full spectrum with the supplemented red diodes. I found that when I ran a Ray 2, it grows plants great and all... but colors didn't really pop as well. Besides, if you think you should add window screen to the Ray 2 to tame the light, it already sounds like the Planted+ is a 'better fit' for your application. Congratulations, sounds like you answered your own question :)
+1 the planted plus already is really bright, if think anything more would literally hurt my eyes haha. It does give plants a nice look, especially with the blues running on concert with reds and whites...

I asked for advice the other day on which light to get. I decided on the planted + over the ray 2. But I was looking for more medium lighting and I like that it has the moonlights also. It should be here tomorrow.

My only concern is that I won't be able to grow some of the more demanding plants with the planted plus once I add a cover. I will have fish that are good jumpers so I will need a tight lid of some sort be it screening or glass, that will have an effect on the par.

Will you be using pressurized co2 ?

Probably at a later point, just diy co2 at first. I am concerned about fish color and plant color though. I mean I do have 2x 15w t5 fixtures that came with the tank I could run with the planted plus but that defeats the purpose a little.

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

What's your max budget? Sounds like flexibility is a high priority? If it's within budget, I believe a high output full spectrum LED fixture that is dimmable sounds more ideal, especially if you have aspirations for high tech with CO2. With that said, I'd highly recommend getting a BML (BuildMyLED.com) fixture with the optional dimmer.

I use 1/4 inch screen because I have smaller fish and it lets the light pass through. The egg crate stuff leaves a checkerboard pattern on the bottom. If you have big fish you may want 1/2 inch screen. I found that glass dissipates the light and kinda defeats the purpose. my 2 cents.

Brian, I just checked out the build my led website. You recommend these fixtures over a Finnex? The reason I ask: I have 2 55 gallons with T5HOs that I am looking to eventually replace. 1 is a Catalina Aquarium 3X54W and the other is an Ebay special, 4X54 watt. I am tired or replacing ballasts and bulbs.

Brian, I just checked out the build my led website. You recommend these fixtures over a Finnex? The reason I ask: I have 2 55 gallons with T5HOs that I am looking to eventually replace. 1 is a Catalina Aquarium 3X54W and the other is an Ebay special, 4X54 watt. I am tired or replacing ballasts and bulbs.
bml is the holy grail of led lighting... I'd say more but it's not neccessary, finnex is really nice.. Don't get me wrong.. Technology behind bml is far and away " killing it" for lack of a better term ..

Yeah BML uses higher output diodes, better quality. Plus, if you go to their site, you can see the compliment of LEDs that are under a fixture. There's specific diodes that emit light in specific bandwidths, or nanometers (nm), that really provide true full spectrum for not only optimal plant growth but for displaying colors in fish and plants more vividly. I also like how they're made in the USA and due to their quality and reputation, have a higher resale value if you ever had to sell. But another major selling point over Finnex is the ability to dim and add controllers if you wanted to. Finnex is still great quality, but I look at them as more value based in which higher-end features are sacrificed in order to sell more units at a lower price point.

Yeah BML uses higher output diodes, better quality. Plus, if you go to their site, you can b see the compliment of LEDs that are under a fixture. There's specific diodes that emit light in specific bandwidths, or nanometers (nm), that really provide true full spectrum for not only optimal plant growth but for displaying colors in fish and plants more vividly. I also like how they're made in the USA and due to their quality and reputation, have a higher resale value if you ever had to sell. But another major selling point over Finnex is the ability to dim and add controllers if you wanted to. Finnex is still great quality, but I look at them as more value based in which higher-end features are sacrificed in order to sell more units at a lower price point.
gospel !

Right. LEDs are nice. I was introduced to LEDs by Kessil. I have a 35 gallon Hex tank, but did not want a MH because they get real hot , plus I wanted something easy to mount. I have a A150 amazon sun with a gooseneck that is far advanced compared to fluorescents. So, I have been watching this forum and Finnex lights. Now...I am leaning towards these build my LED fixtures.

I feel like having ran a kessil and knowing the power of a quality led..you'll be more satisfied with a bml..

Yeah there's always new and exciting developments. Current and Finnex are both racing each other to compete with BML with their own flavors of high output plant lights. I think Current will be in the next month or two. Flexibility of a Sat+ with PAR output close to BML (more or less).

Thanks guys. I may want to chat with you guys about light spectrum, but for now I need some sleep because I gotta get up at 5AM.

My budget is kind of limited right now. The buildmyled fixtures are nice and all but their shipping to my location in canada is 46$ and the fixture is 269. I can get the finnex for 118-140(planted+, ray 2) with free shipping on amazon.
Edit: also seems tested par vs actual par is a bit different from finnex, they are tested from and open air tank with no water. Seems the ray2 wouldnt really be too much then. I may consider running 2xred bulbs in my t8s and the finnex or maybe 1 bigger red t8 or t5ho to get better color. And maybe consider adding a planted plus or a monster ray on top of the ray 2 in the future?

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

Back
Top Bottom