Finnex stingray vs. planted +

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The before mentioned finnex stingray should do well,I'd suggest a basic fert&carbon source.

sit in silence...

What types of ferts and carbon? Like any specific bottle or brand? And a daily dose?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For my low light plants I use seachem flourish comprehensive,api leafzone&seachem excel(for a carbon source).. Follow direction on bottle..

sit in silence...

For my low light plants I use seachem flourish comprehensive,api leafzone&seachem excel(for a carbon source).. Follow direction on bottle..

sit in silence...

Ok. I have excel right now. I'll look for the others when I go to the store today. Maybe they'll have the light there too!

It's a local fish store.

So last vote before ordering.. Finnex planted plus would be too much light if I don't run co2? Finnex stingray would be fine for low light? And the satellite one is same as the planted plus?

I think the satellite LED+ would be in the middle in terms of PAR, I could be wrong, but this is what I recall. Advantage though is the modes and dimming capability. You can dial in the right amount of light. And, if you ever wanted more PAR, you can double up later.

So last vote before ordering.. Finnex planted plus would be too much light if I don't run co2? Finnex stingray would be fine for low light? And the satellite one is same as the planted plus?

I'd do the current sat plus over the stingray. I have all three mentioned and aside from the planted plus the sat plus takes it over the stingray. The stingray is perfect to put behind a planted plus for supplemental lighting and color. The sat as stand alone is solid, fully customizable and puts out decent power in the right situation. Here's my sat plus jungle in the making.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1435317494977.jpg
    1435317494977.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 121
What exactly is PAR? And what may be wrong with the satellites PAR? Brookster, in your photo the light seems really yellow, can it be adjusted to be more white? So I won't have algae issues with this light ?

What about the finnex planted plus 24/7? Just found that one. Looks like it's totally controllable as well.

What exactly is PAR? And what may be wrong with the satellites PAR? Brookster, in your photo the light seems really yellow, can it be adjusted to be more white? So I won't have algae issues with this light ?

Par is basically thee amount of depth penetration power
the light has. Higher par is higher light. The sat can be set to many different spectrums, this tank has tannins which stain the water and a layer of floating plants which further distort color. Color spectrum will not really cause the algae issues, rgb's are actually better for plant growth than just white.

What about the finnex planted plus 24/7? Just found that one. Looks like it's totally controllable as well.

24/7 is a great choice. Good power, rgb's and dimmable.

I like an LED with at least a couple all red diodes to encourage photosynthesis further..

All the leds in question carry reds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks! Would the finnex planted plus 24/7 or the current satellite plus be better? The satellite is a couple dollars more, but they are pretty much the same price.

Ok thanks! Would the finnex planted plus 24/7 or the current satellite plus be better? The satellite is a couple dollars more, but they are pretty much the same price.

For the price I'd go with the 24/7,allows for more possibilities down the road...I have one on back order.

sit in silence...

PAR stands for Photosynthetically Active Radiation. It's the acceptable wavelength for photosynthesis. As for classifying lighting in terms of low, medium, and high, I believe the accepted ranges are:
Low: 10-30 PAR
Medium: 30-80 PAR
High: 80+ PAR
Edit: Some manufacturers will publish the PAR values of their fixtures at given distances (3", 6", 9", 12", etc) from fixture to substrate. This makes it convenient when selecting a fixture. PAR meters can be used to measure these values of not available.

Last edited:
I ended up getting the planted plus. The finnex 24-7 was going to take 1-4 months to arrive so I didn't want to wait. I really like it! My floating plants have grown a ton and cover the whole top of the aquarium now... Hmm good or bad? Haha!

Back
Top Bottom