Finnex, the way to go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been looking for a light lately for my sad low light planted tank lol, it's been getting on lately but Im sure light is the only factor holding it back from it's full potential(and co2 but that's another cash splash we'll get to later).
Basically I have the option to buy a fugeray for pretty much half off from someone but I want to know if it's worth it and will it give me at least moderate lighting on a 24 inch high tank with 13 depth. I read at 12 depth I'd get 74 par. So I'm guessing with the extra inch(I have thick maybe 2 and a half inch substrate if that helps) and my glass top, that'd put me at 60-65 par. Sounds good to light plants like dwarf sag, amazon swords, maybe bacopa and certain crypt species like spiralis?
Thanks guys.

Honestly, CO2 would help you more than light. If you had 60 PAR I can assure you that you will have huge algae issues. There are great planted tanks grown with 40-50 PAR but they have great CO2 (look at the ADA professional scapes). Personally I'd invest in a CO2 system before the light. You could also do a DIY system but you need to be careful if you put a stronger light than a DIY system could support. What size is the tank?

Honestly, CO2 would help you more than light. If you had 60 PAR I can assure you that you will have huge algae issues. There are great planted tanks grown with 40-50 PAR but they have great CO2 (look at the ADA professional scapes). Personally I'd invest in a CO2 system before the light. You could also do a DIY system but you need to be careful if you put a stronger light than a DIY system could support. What size is the tank?

26 gallon, I've tried diy for like 2-3 weeks with no success. Even bought a diy co2 system with like a pressure gauge and all but I'm pretty sure it had a leak.(hissing noise when needle valve was turned on) I think I'll just invest in a co2 system and get better lights all at once. Thanks bcarl for clearing that up for me. Sucks to miss out on this deal but I'm guessing it'll save me a few headaches down the way.

I wouldn't do a DIY on a 26, in my opinion any DIY over a 10 gal is questionable (depends on the light). A common mistake of new hobbyists is going with the light before CO2, its understandable who wouldnt want a cool shiny new toy that you can visually see and play with. Co2 is far more important though. I would recommend a 5Lb CO2 system, a lot of people on here have the Aquatek system that is pretty budget friendly, you can get a co2 fill at welding shops for $20, (Just bring them a cylinder). If you have any questions let me know.

I have the planted plus on my 75 gallon and I would say I'm in the medium light catagory

Back
Top Bottom