Fire extinguisher for CO2 tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagentx

Aquarium Advice Activist
wow... after coming all around, i've come back to the fire extinguisher, can i just bring it to the shop for them to clean out any exisiting chemicals in there? or is there no way of ridding the chemicals clean. Just don't want to spend another $90 on a CO2 tank. I'm on a budget right now.

thanks for following all along Rex. realli appreciate it

I've found this article somewhere on the net:

"There is a great problem in using fire extinguishers, the CO2 itself is OK, but the extreme pressures are not. Fire extinguishers have the highest pressures of CO2,and getting regulators to suit is going to be a real problem. Working for a companythat works with bottled gas of all sorts, I can say that buying a regulator (if one exists (it probably does) will cost you many body parts, to get one with a very low pressure output. (0-200psi)"

Think the milwaukee or the JBJ regulator is what he is talking about?

Umm What do you want to clean out the CO2?
Go in your back yard and pull the pin and shoot it out...
And if your talking about a ABC or multi purpose type. Do the same thing... Be prepared for a huge plume. Or have somone put your garden hose on a mist pattern and as soon as the agent comes out it will be washed out of the air.

After there is no more pressure in it you can just open it up !

To be on the safe side I would prefer that you get the inside of the tank steam cleaned. Otherwise go at it with some very hot water. Don't use any soap or oils. Just water. And the Milwaukee or JBJ regulator will work fine. Whoever wrote the other article is ignoring the simple physical fact that any cylinder of CO2 that contains liquid CO2 is going to have the same pressure. Doesn't make a difference if it's a Fire Extinguisher, a CO2 beverage cylinder or anything else.

sweet... i dun have to spend $90 on a tank no more then... and i'll probably go to the backyard to play firefighter with my lil brother lol j/p. So i'll just release the gas.... pour very hot water in it, CGA 320, and walla. I'm pouring very hot water into the tank as i'm typing right now. I'm happy now, thanks so much Firefighter and Rex, i'm going to post wen i have the tank set up

Just out of curiosity, have you priced the valve to convert? You can purchase a 5 pound online for around $50.00 or so, which is why I'm asking this. And there would be the issue of a current hydro test, I'm assuming the people you're going to have convert this have OKd the tank. Just some things to consider I guess.

i was just going to find out the price for a CGA 320 valve... i'm still looking for it, how much does it cost and where can i get it? No i haven't done the hydro testing yet. Do i have to pay for a hydro test?

right wen i thought i had everything... 8O

ok i just found out the procedures for the hydro test...
it consist of:

1. Bead Blasting of tanks
2. Hydro Testing of tanks
3. Hydro & Bead Blast of tanks
4. Chemical cleaning of inside of tanks

i can skip 1, 3 and 4 right? I already poured hot water in the tank like 4 times already and rinsed it. I just need the certification

The hydro test has to be performed by a certified station I believe, you can't do it yourself, as for the valve, I'm not sure that's something you can just go out and buy. It would probably have to installed by a professional as well I would imagine, there are a lot of regs involved for obvious safety reasons.

I can ask a friend of mine where I get my CO2 from Monday and get back to you.

You can buy the valve at any number of places. The assumption is that if you know what it is used for you know how to use it. Any shop that handles CO2 cylinders more than likely has a dozen or more laying around. Shops that handle fire extinguishers typically don't have them as it's not a commonly used on fire extinguishers. But in most urban areas they can have one in a day or two.

But I would not advise an inexperienced person to try and attempt to install the CGA 320 valve on a cylinder. Of course anyone with a wee bit of knowledge is going to know you need to add a good thread sealant and screw it in as tight as possible. I have watched the local shop installing this valve and it takes all of about two minutes.

Got any idea how much one would cost? I'm actually thinking a FE cylinder would make for a very clean install in smaller cabinets.

Troy H said:
Got any idea how much one would cost? I'm actually thinking a FE cylinder would make for a very clean install in smaller cabinets.

Normally under $20 here in Portland.

In a smaller stand a 5# can take up a bit of room, some of the people I build stands for want smaller equipment and an FE could be mounted up in a clamp, just makes a very clean looking install really.

I use 2.5 and 5 pound cylinders myself and sometimes I wish I could find something smaller than the 2.5

would u have to refill the tank more frequently if its smaller?

i guess buying the 5lb cyclinder online from aquatic-depot for $60 is better than all those test, CGA320 valve, and cleaning i have to do...

Of course you will have to fill it more often. A 10 lb cylinder holds twice as much CO2 as a 5 lb. And all things being equal a 10 lb cylinder will last twice as long between fills. And the cost to fill a 10 lb vs a 5 lb is about the same.

Back
Top Bottom