First 5g planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilmack07

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a betta tank that is 5g hex tank. I just put a 60 watt daylight cfl bulb in ( uses 14 watts) and 5000k. I have white sand as the substrate at the moment. I also have a sword plant and I forgot what the other one is called but it can float and little baby fish can hang out in it? Lol anyways I was wondering with this type of lighting can I try growing microsword grass or dwarf grass? Also should I just go ahead and redo my sand bottom? Add and organic soil and then sand cap it? Or just keep it the way it is? I also plan on adding a DIY co2 system and going to start using root tabs.

I'd say you should be able grow either but you may want to consider using something smaller like Dwarf Baby tears in a tank that small. Crypt Parva is also good since it only gets about 2" tall. You will also want to limit your light to 6-8 hours a day.

You can keep the sand but you will need to get some root tabs to put in it. I wouldn't redo it with soil and a cap unless you just want to do it.

Oh I will look at both of those then. I'm really just waning to try some type of carpet plant I think it would look really cool.

Root tabs I shall get then. Thank you so so much!

Got the root tabs today and we ended up getting the dwarf hairgrass. Having a bit of trouble keeping it from floating.

Attachments

• image-3983735032.jpg
    image-3983735032.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 64
I bought a 26w light 6500k. Was wondering if I should upgrade to that light or would that be too much? Also wondering if it would be smart to upgrade to a bigger internal filter? I've just been using the one it came with but now that I'm planting it I'm wondering if I should upgrade it to help me with keep the water at a better quality?

As long as your filter has good flow and the plants are waving around slightly you should be good. If they aren't then a new filter may be well worth it.

That amount of light will likely cause bad algae problems if you don't have co2 and ferts. If you use something like Excell or co2 Booster you may be okay but I'd try a weaker bulb first and see how the plants and algae respond. Strong lights -requires- carbon and fertilizers or algae will dominate the tank.

I'm thinking I may just get a bit bigger of a filter like one of those internal tetra whispers i10. Those look pretty nice. The one it came with does an ok job.

That is good to know! I will stick with the lighting it has then see how well it does. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom