First dirted tank journal (slow)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NativeTank7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys I got bored with the tank of nothing but Eco complete and gravel because the plant growth didnt grow any better than when I had them in gravel only with clay underlay so I decided to strip it down and start fresh. I have recently picked up some miracle grow organic choice potting mix to dirt it with. Was gonna go straight top soil but couldn't find a trustworthy brand. I picked up 2 bags to give me an Inch of dirt (debating on if I want to add more) I got a thin layer of gravel on bottom for oxygen in the soil and gonna cap the dirt with the Eco complete I still have. Gonna take it slow and make sure I have everything I need before I start the process of adding water and getting the bacteria ready. Need some new plant bulbs and a heater. Going to have easy classic plants for a low tech tank so it will be easy to manage. I have some plants floating in my other 55 temporary until I'm ready. Here's what it looks like so far

image-1217577746.jpg

When dirting a tank the dirt normally goes on the bottom. The dirt will just work it's way down in the gravel just so you know. In a larger tank I like an 1-1/2 layer of dirt with a little powdered Laterite (clay) sprinkled on it then capped with an 1-1/2 of sand/gravel/commercial substrate. Also even with a dirted tank you will need to add root tabs in about 8 weeks if you put in any swords or crypts.

Plant list:

1 amazon sword
2 amazon compacta
A few Onion plants
1 water lily
6 fanwort stems
1 water wisteria (hopefully going to propagate :)

Question #1 what are some types of crypts that propagate well and stay low to the substrate? Going for that foreground look for these

When dirting a tank the dirt normally goes on the bottom. The dirt will just work it's way down in the gravel just so you know. In a larger tank I like an 1-1/2 layer of dirt with a little powdered Laterite (clay) sprinkled on it then capped with an 1-1/2 of sand/gravel/commercial substrate. Also even with a dirted tank you will need to add root tabs in about 8 weeks if you put in any swords or crypts.

Yea I figured so. My aunt did hers that way and it seemed to help her roots grow stronger not sure if it was the gravels fault lol I'm planing on getting some clay soon. My Walmart doesn't sale pottery clay so I may go with laterite. Going to try and go slow. The last time I rushed it and didnt end up very good so hopefully I will have a better experience this time :)

What type of lighting/bulbs are you going to be using? Crypt Parva is the only really small forground crypt IMO. Other crypts that look better mid tank are Crypts Wendtii (Red, Bronze, Mi Oya are ones that will add color). An easy forground plant that will actually carpet would be Four Leaf Clover (Marsilea quadrifolia). There are a few other I could suggest depending on the light.

What type of lighting/bulbs are you going to be using? Crypt Parva is the only really small forground crypt IMO. Other crypts that look better mid tank are Crypts Wendtii (Red, Bronze, Mi Oya are ones that will add color). An easy forground plant that will actually carpet would be Four Leaf Clover (Marsilea quadrifolia). There are a few other I could suggest depending on the light.

I have 2 48in T8s (32 watts each)
Low light for sure. Going to pick up a new plant bulb hopefully this week because one of them is cracked

Is there any other low light foreground plants you guys know about? Trying to research about and I would like to know your opinions

Banana plant? They will be slow but you should be able to keep it going from my understanding. I like it cause it's different

What size tank is that? I'm 4 months into my first dirted tank. I also have miracle grow potting mix capped with eco complete. I can't get dwarf clover to do a thing under my LED's. But I"m growing Vals, swords, java fern, anubias, wisteria, water sprite and various crypts and stems.

What size tank is that? I'm 4 months into my first dirted tank. I also have miracle grow potting mix capped with eco complete. I can't get dwarf clover to do a thing under my LED's. But I"m growing Vals, swords, java fern, anubias, wisteria, water sprite and various crypts and stems.

The Four leaf clover actually grows wells, the dwarf clover is different and everyone I know that has it says it either doesn't grow or grows so slow it drives them crazy.

OP with as very low light as you have there is no other carpeting plant IMO that would work. In fact in that light you can probably only grow Anubia, Java Fern Reglar and Wendilov, Boblitus, and Crypts.

The Four leaf clover actually grows wells, the dwarf clover is different and everyone I know that has it says it either doesn't grow or grows so slow it drives them crazy.

OP with as very low light as you have there is no other carpeting plant IMO that would work. In fact in that light you can probably only grow Anubia, Java Fern Reglar and Wendilov, Boblitus, and Crypts.

I managed to grow the amazon compacta,fanwort, and a tiny bit of whisteria but it is extremely slow lol which I'm really not looking for a plant boom right away I like to watch it slowly progress instead of hacking back every week. I got some DYI reflectors coming in the mix but other than that I doubt I will up the lighting. I haven't got into the T5 game yet but getting there :)

It's a standard 55 gallon. Have 4 but have recently closed down the others due to space issues :( hopefully when our extra room is built on I can add my other tanks to the basement. I have a bad case of multi-tank syndrome :)

Do you think maybe running CFLs above the higher demanding plants would help or would be a waste of time in this size aquarium

I've heard alot of people on here talk about how well plants grow with CFL lights. One woman has them over her 55g and seems to do well with them.

I've heard alot of people on here talk about how well plants grow with CFL lights. One woman has them over her 55g and seems to do well with them.

I may try running my 2 T8s and get 2 clip on aluminum lamps with CFLs and see if there's better plant growth. Seen some at lowes the other week that was pretty cheap. Now I just need to look into a canopy to hide it all

I may try running my 2 T8s and get 2 clip on aluminum lamps with CFLs and see if there's better plant growth. Seen some at lowes the other week that was pretty cheap. Now I just need to look into a canopy to hide it all

I don't know where you're from but you might be able to find some cheap t5ho on craigslist. That's where i got mine. 36" for 20$ was a great deal. Im sure there are 48" out there. People give up on the hobby or are moving or need money all the time.

I don't know where you're from but you might be able to find some cheap t5ho on craigslist. That's where i got mine. 36" for 20$ was a great deal. Im sure there are 48" out there. People give up on the hobby or are moving or need money all the time.

Very true. Haven't looked in awhile but when I first got them I couldn't really find any. The ones I found were a little too small. I will need to check in the paper soon they always have tanks and lights for sale

Back
Top Bottom