First encounter with Algae :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Came home today inspected my tank before i checked the parameters and i noticed some of my white rock turning yellow. Its been four days? since ive last done a PWC. My parameters all stayed normal so i didnt change it. I wanted to see a change before a water change. But i noticed the rocks turning yellow in a corner of the tank and if you look closely you can see fine strands or green algae growing. So i guess ill go do a PWC? should i scrub the algae or will that spread it? that's my main concern.

checked my parameters and nothing. Ammonia 0, Nitrates 0, and Nitrites 0. I dont ever see a huge change in parameters. I have 2 Java ferns, and 2 Anubias. Guess thats enough to keep everything in check? Ive read that nitrates can cause hair algae but my nitrates are low. Maybe another type of algae? I have API test strips. Are the liquid test better?

Your nitrates are to low. You should definitely have at least 5ppm but 10ppm would be much better. You may need to add them with either a dry source or a liquid like Seachem nitrogen.

tomasm87 said:
So plants need Nitrates? must of overlooked that bit of information.

If your tank is properly cycled it will have nitrates. Yes plants use nitrates.

tomasm87 said:
checked my parameters and nothing. Ammonia 0, Nitrates 0, and Nitrites 0. I dont ever see a huge change in parameters. I have 2 Java ferns, and 2 Anubias. Guess thats enough to keep everything in check? Ive read that nitrates can cause hair algae but my nitrates are low. Maybe another type of algae? I have API test strips. Are the liquid test better?

A liquid test is more accurate. I used the strips for a while, switched to the liquid with my 2 recent tanks & it's made a difference in knowing my parameters especially since both are fish in cycling.

Yeah I think ill switch to. Test strips only read 0-20. What about 5-10? Cant tell the in between.

Aside form water parameters. Lighting to nutrients to co2 imbalance can also get you algae. I'm not sure what lighting or co2 you have but a sudden change in any of these can bring algae. For now, as a temporary and long term measure I would suggest getting a small algae eater like amano shimo since cleanup crews are good to have and amanos are some of the best!

shellieca said:
If your tank is properly cycled it will have nitrates. Yes plants use nitrates.

That isn't always true. A tank with lots of plants, especially long established tanks, often won't have any nitrates at all. I have to add nitrates every day to my tank just to get it to 5-10ppm. They wont build up even if I don't do water changes. The plants use it very quickly with adequate light, CO2 and ferts.

CorallineAlgae said:
That isn't always true. A tank with lots of plants, especially long established tanks, often won't have any nitrates at all. I have to add nitrates every day to my tank just to get it to 5-10ppm. They wont build up even if I don't do water changes. The plants use it very quickly with adequate light, CO2 and ferts.

First I've heard, I learned something new. :)

shellieca said:
First I've heard, I learned something new. :)

Took me ages to find that out. I started off with saltwater so the idea of ADDING nitrates seemed insane until I thought about it like gardening where people have been dumping it in the soil for so long.

In a planted tank it's just plant food, still, balance is everything. To much is bad for fish, to little is good for algae and bad for plants. Every type of aquarium system has different rules for nutrients and various other parameters. Amazing. lol

CorallineAlgae said:
In a planted tank it's just plant food, still, balance is everything. To much is bad for fish, to little is good for algae and bad for plants. Every type of aquarium system has different rules for nutrients and various other parameters. Amazing. lol

+1 it's a very fine balancing act.

Plants vs light vs ferts vs Co2.

I've managed to get the hang of the first 3. I have a Co2 system but don't currently make use of it due to insane algae when I do use it. It's because I then don't have enough light for my plants to make full use of everything available to them.

Balancing nutrients can be the hardest part. Luckily my source water contains a small amount of both Nitrates and Phosphates.

I try to maintain 10ppm of nitrates. Which luckily comes from the 5ppm in my source and fish waste. I only have to do 20-30% PWC a week.

If your source water has ZERO Nitrates and your plants are using up the nitrates from fish waste then it could well be you need to dose the Macro nutrients too. NPK.

I'm fairly lucky that I only have to dose with EASYLIFE PROFITO micro's and EASYLIFE KALIUM potassium supplement. However once I began following manufacturers instructions of 10ml per 100litres once a week I began seeing more algae again. So I then had to reduce ml's and add every 2days instead of weekly.

It's all about balancing lol.

Jon

jondamon said:
+1 it's a very fine balancing act.

Plants vs light vs ferts vs Co2.

I've managed to get the hang of the first 3. I have a Co2 system but don't currently make use of it due to insane algae when I do use it. It's because I then don't have enough light for my plants to make full use of everything available to them.

Balancing nutrients can be the hardest part. Luckily my source water contains a small amount of both Nitrates and Phosphates.

I try to maintain 10ppm of nitrates. Which luckily comes from the 5ppm in my source and fish waste. I only have to do 20-30% PWC a week.

If your source water has ZERO Nitrates and your plants are using up the nitrates from fish waste then it could well be you need to dose the Macro nutrients too. NPK.

I'm fairly lucky that I only have to dose with EASYLIFE PROFITO micro's and EASYLIFE KALIUM potassium supplement. However once I began following manufacturers instructions of 10ml per 100litres once a week I began seeing more algae again. So I then had to reduce ml's and add every 2days instead of weekly.

It's all about balancing lol.

Jon

So right, CO2 can be tricky. I had issues with fine tuning mine once I changed to T5 lighting. Found I needed to start my CO2 dosing about 2 full hours before my lights come on to get it up to full strength (using a pH controller) or algae will get a foothold. It takes a lot of patience to see actual results but sure enough, the basic rules seem to work. I did have to go back to a mix of RO water and tap, though.

I do use NPK+B mixed from a dry fert mix into a liquid. I decided to go with the PPS-Pro dosing method which seems pretty good. I haven't seen your ferts around. In the US we don't always have all the choices available in Europe.

Im using 2 10w bulbs in my hood. I leave the lights on about 10 hours a day. I use API Leaf Zone once a week. and I dont have a CO2 system. I probably need to get one right?

tomasm87 said:
Im using 2 10w bulbs in my hood. I leave the lights on about 10 hours a day. I use API Leaf Zone once a week. and I dont have a CO2 system. I probably need to get one right?

No, while it's nice to have you don't need one. They only become necessary if you have very bright lights. Incidentally, are your 2 10w bulbs incandescent or fluorescent?

tomasm87 said:
is a mini fluorescent bulb from Walmart.

Oh, those. The aquarium daylight bulbs they sell are excellent for your size planted tank. A lot of people have awesome plants growing under those. If you try the ferts mentioned earlier you should have little trouble reducing your algae and seeing new plant growth. Just remember that the bulbs need to be replaced after a year.

I agree that test strips are very unreliable. Since Java Fern and Anubias are such slow growers, I wouldn't see them keeping nitrates at 0 in anything more than a minuscule stocking. Get an API liquid test before you worry too much about ferts.

I have several low-medium light setups like yours and the main thing to worry about is micro nutrients. In high light or tanks with lots of stem plants you definitely need to worry about adding nitrogen, but not in setups like ours. What size is the tank and what is the stocking? The biggest concern would be adding nitrogen when you don't need it. Then you get more algae than plants! Lol

So with what supplement do I add nitrates with? Is there a certain brand out there? Could my API fert be helping the algae? Its a potassium sulfate, iron based supplement.

My honest opinion is that problem is possibly stemming from excessive nitrates. Have you tested your water with the API liquid test for nitrates? I cannot recommend anyone use a nitrogen fertilizer based off of test strip results. What is the tank size and the stocking? Pardon the redundancy, but I just do not see slow growing plant soaking up all the nitrogenous wastes in a well stocked tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom