First live plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquariumcouple

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just dropped my first live plat into my 75 gallon aquarium. I have never used a live plant before. It is a Nymphaea lilly. The package says to just drop in the water and not "plant". It also says that within 20 days it will grow 3-5 inches. The bulb is currently floating on top the water in my tank. My wife picked it up and neither of us know anything about live plants for aquariums.
1. How long does it take to sink and take root?
2. How hard are these plants to take care of?
3. What are benefits and consequences of the live plants?

Aren't lilies floating plants?
There's more in the genus of Nymphaea that are stem plants, but they aren't lilies?

Most stem plants never sink, you have to weigh them down with plant weights. If it says just dropped it in, attach the weight at the base of the stem, and drop it in, simple as that.

I don't have any Nymphaea so I'm not sure on hardiness and ease of care.

Live plants help cleanse dangerous toxins helping the water quality in a sense. Dead or decaying plants will have an adverse effect obviously. They give off oxygen while the lights are on, but absorb it at night. They give fish a natural feeling environment, helping with stress. I think live plants look 100x better than fake.

If it starts browning or yellow, it's common at first, while the plant seeds itself. but if it gets extensive then it may be a sign of mineral deficiencies in your water and you'll have to look into fertilizers and other plants care supplies. Welcome to the planted world!

Back
Top Bottom