First live plants ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Atxpunx said:
That rotala indica is supposed to turn red if I'm not mistaken. Also, that brown fern, is it African water fern? That and the anubias should have the rhizome above the sand. Only the smaller roots go in the sand.

I've read that it will however the leaves turn yellow and then brown. I'm not sure it was a good specimen. Possibly grown emersed and not submerged.

The Anubias

Bearchumjs said:
I've read that it will however the leaves turn yellow and then brown. I'm not sure it was a good specimen. Possibly grown emersed and not submerged.

The Anubias

(my 2 year old jumped on me and my finger pressed send too soon.)

The Anubias will be put on driftwood once my driftwood is waterlogged so I can put it in the rank. I've lifted them up a little so that I can just see the roots underneath the green part where the stems start. What exactly are the rhizomes?

The brown fern is a trichonomes javanicum which I just read a few moments ago isn't really an aquatic plant at all and will die. Maybe that's why it is brown and not green like the pictures on the Internet. I'm still learning! :)

What if I stick it on top of the filter box in the rocks up there? (fluval chi) if I do that though I can't use any dirt. I think it would just get washed out.

Sticking it above the water is a good idea. It looks so much like bolbitis heudelotii. I love my African fern. Looks good though. Totally following.

Atxpunx said:
Sticking it above the water is a good idea. It looks so much like bolbitis heudelotii. I love my African fern. Looks good though. Totally following.

Do you use fertilizer? My nitrates are high 40-80ppm but my tank is still cycling. I was hoping the plants would help lower the nitrates but I think I might need fertilizer to keep them healthy. I don't know what to do.

Austin.b said:
I'm just wondering, is there a built in filter?

The filter is that thing with the rocks. On the bottom/underneath of that are the LED's and a plastic door you open to put in the filter pad and sponge. It draws water in from somewhere and then squirts it out the top to make a waterfall effect. I put a rock over it to keep it from splashing. I moved the rock in the photo so you can see how the water comes out.

Bearchumjs said:
Do you use fertilizer? My nitrates are high 40-80ppm but my tank is still cycling. I was hoping the plants would help lower the nitrates but I think I might need fertilizer to keep them healthy. I don't know what to do.

I do use fertilizer. You should wait. Those stem plants will tell you when it's time by showing deficiency. Keep an eye on nitrates with your tester. Once nitrates start to lower it should be time to begin a fert regime. Something simple like flourish.

Atxpunx said:
I do use fertilizer. You should wait. Those stem plants will tell you when it's time by showing deficiency. Keep an eye on nitrates with your tester. Once nitrates start to lower it should be time to begin a fert regime. Something simple like flourish.

What do I look for as fear as deficiency? I thought they were looking a little less green today...

If your nitrates are as high as you say you should be good. Maybe you can start a small regimen. Just for micros.

If you need to fertilize them, try osmocote pellets. I freeze like 4 of them in a 1/2 tsp of water, then shove them under each plant. It's about 11 bucks at home depot here for a huge shaker container of them, instead of spending like 16 bucks for ten root tabs. Works great! :)

MandyINCo said:
If you need to fertilize them, try osmocote pellets. I freeze like 4 of them in a 1/2 tsp of water, then shove them under each plant. It's about 11 bucks at home depot here for a huge shaker container of them, instead of spending like 16 bucks for ten root tabs. Works great! :)

Thank you!! I'm hoping I won't have to because of my nitrates but I'm always in the market for money saving ideas!

Bearchumjs said:
So... My lemon Bacopa decided to grow last night. What happens if it reaches the top of the aquarium?

See how close to the surface it is getting?

Nice! You can trim it, or you can let it grow out of the water and it could flower if I'm not mistaken:)

Yeah in theory. If you cut it lower and leave one or two leaf sets it'll still grow like that. That way the part you cut can be cut into three or four pieces. The newest cut pieces need to be longer than the already rooted piece to insure the new cuttings sprout new growth. Awesome pictures by the way.

Atxpunx said:
Yeah in theory. If you cut it lower and leave one or two leaf sets it'll still grow like that. That way the part you cut can be cut into three or four pieces. The newest cut pieces need to be longer than the already rooted piece to insure the new cuttings sprout new growth. Awesome pictures by the way.

LOL! Thanks. I used the doodle buddy app on my phone.

I didn't even think about the cut off part rooting into a new plant!

Back
Top Bottom