First Planted Community Tank - 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michaelbknudsen

Aquarium Advice Activist
Noob - This is my first attempt at a planted tank, which is four months old about. I had a tank before, but a really simple set-up. This one is a 20g long, white sand substrate, topped with Argo-Alive. My buddy did this with his tanks with no ill effects, and had amazing tanks, otherwise I would have been to scared to use it. I am running a HOB filter as well as a UV filter. Lighting is 2x24" T5 HO lights. Can't recall temp, but I believe it's 1 daylight and 1 plant bulb. DIY CO2 running into diffuser intake on UV filter. House is kind of cold (60), so it's under 1 BPS. That works out, since there are no large water fluctuations at night when the plants aren't using it. Plants are plentiful, and I am looking to add HC in the foreground as cover. I'm hoping the lighting, and CO2 will be adequate for this... I will also use root tabs to kick off the HC. Thoughts? There are some zebra danios, pleco, dwarf guarmi, peppermint tetra, catfish, rcs, red crystal, black crystal, amanos and two fish I can't remember the name of. Probably should test the water to get an idea of where It's at. I'll be posting pics along the way as I add the HC, and plants begin to fill out. I'll also probably be blacking out the backdrop to make the whole thing pop. Thanks for sharing, feedback and tips.

Attachments

• image-1007637772.jpg
    image-1007637772.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 164
  • image-2433657132.jpg
    image-2433657132.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 160
  • image-4192630419.jpg
    image-4192630419.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 168
Just added 10 RCS into the mix, and dosed with Seachem comprehensive and excel... HC coming tomorrow to put in the foreground.

The white ribbon in the back left is a non-aquatic plant. You will want to remove that before it starts rotting. They are semi-aquatic and are usually sold for terrariums and things like that.

I like the stones on the left and the fish selection! :) Keep us updated!

I took the barbs out, as they have been causing problems. Everyone else I happy, and I have two berried females that I hope pull through the acclimation.

HC came in today, so I'll start getting the ground cover going! :) Got an eye on the peppermint tetra since I found a part of a RCS in the tank yesterday ( could have been from the rosy barbs I removed yesterday though). Might have to transfer him out, but thinking of replacing them with neon tetras or rasboras. Removing the ribbon plant today also, and considering an alternative to fill out the back left corner. Will update with pics after HC is in it's new home. I've also rigged up a small reptile heat pad to my DIY CO2 system to run when the lights are on, stepping up production during the photo periods... Lights are now on 9-1 & 4-8.

HC planted, neon tetras added to the family and ribbon plants replaced with an Argentinian sword and fern. Everybody looks healthy and happy.

Attachments

• image-3561723265.jpg
    image-3561723265.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 139
  • image-160891154.jpg
    image-160891154.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 132
  • image-1973827960.jpg
    image-1973827960.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 143
Just hooked up an R2 extreme moonlight, which was just the right size to fit into the housing for my T5HO. Plants are thriving, as are the fish and shrimp. Here are a few pics...

Attachments

• image-1112966466.jpg
    image-1112966466.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 119
  • image-3120883150.jpg
    image-3120883150.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1878973647.jpg
    image-1878973647.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 113
UV filter broke, so back to the store that goes. Took this opportunity to switch to two zoomed 501 canisters I had that weren't in use. I'm really glad that I did, the look is a lot cleaner than the hob filter and uv filter I had to begin with. Blacked out the background, and I think it's looking a lot better. Dwarf baby tears are starting to show some root development and growth. (At least most... Some look a little yellowish). After two weeks, I'm holing most of it will take and begin to spread to cover the front of the tank. Other plants are starting to take take off as well. Waiting on an elite mini to attach my diy co2 up to, but still hitting it with excel on a daily basis to compensate. Any ideas on how long the dwarf tears will take to really take off? I'm anxious and excited to get some ground cover! Rcs are in hiding, but water checks out, and done are still coming out in the open. Keeping an eye out for the little ones I hope made it from the 6 berried females I picked up at the lfs.

Attachments

• image-1126061626.jpg
    image-1126061626.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image-775389787.jpg
    image-775389787.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 87
Wow. Nice progress! Forgot what thread this was.. Thought it was a 55 or 75g tank until I saw the neons and then the thread title. I like the scape, makes the tank look a lot bigger than it is.

HC, dwarf baby tears will actually spread faster if you divide those large clumps into much smaller sections and plant them in a checkboard pattern with about an inch spacing between them. The higher the light and a tank with CO2 and good ferts will allow them to spread the fastest. It's just too hard to predict at what rate they will spread in an individual tank since all tanks are different.

Big change!!! Really nice!!! It look really good with the black background and show off your plants nicely!!!
As suggested, HC needs to be seperated into small clumps to spread out better.
RCS is hiding since you have a lot of fish in the tank

Thanks. I tried to separate the HC, but maybe I did not get them small enough. I hope they will still eventually spread.

I just put in a mini elite filter to act as a CO2 diffuser, with the flow directly under the output from my canister filter to push the gas through the aquarium for maximum exchange. It just didn't look right sitting lower by the intakes, so I figured this was a good compromise. It doesn't seem to draw the CO2 though without the filter flow turned all the way up. I did just change the mix in both containers, so is it possible there is not enough pressure to push through yet with a lower flow? I don't mind the current, I'm just wondering if that is just his the filter works, and needs to be cranked in order to allow air to enter through. Any thoughts? I'm really considering switching to a pressurized system, as I already have a full 20 lb tank I acquired, but no regulator. I'm just wondering if it is worth the immediate cost of switching over, or riding it out with the DIY since its only a 20g tank. I am also dosing with excel, and growth has been noticeable on a day to day basis, especially with my Argentinian sword. Thanks for the feedback/constructive criticism. ?

A few updated pics:

Attachments

• image-1586234838.jpg
    image-1586234838.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 56
  • image-347069115.jpg
    image-347069115.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 66
Back
Top Bottom