First planted: My 75g Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi guys I'm sure you have seen me on quite a few recent threads. I'm fairly new to the hobby but I read every day for at least an hour whether it is about a cool fish, people's experiences, tank builds, the list goes on. I love learning about this hobby and in less than 6 months it has quickly become an obsession :) I now have 4 tanks.

2.5 gallon - empty currently

10 gallon - 5 tiger barbs and 3 Otocinclus, 1 mystery snail

45 gallon - 5 black neon tetras, 5 white skirt tetras, clown pleco, golden dojo loach(My Favorite!!), rainbow shark, and a mystery snail.

And now my 75g. Since I just got this idea to have a thread about it I'll catch up on its status. It's been up and running around 2 weeks now, still in cycling process. Because of the size of this tank I underestimated how long it would take to cycle and added fish too soon. Soon after, I experienced a horrific bacterial bloom. Thanks to Mebbid and others I was able to restore peace to my tank. No casualties. I am currently waiting for my tank to finish cycling and the bacteria to catch up from my excited mistake of wanting fish and forgetting about the cycling. Here's some pics:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421773362.010764.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421773415.349739.jpg
This was a real PEICE of driftwood from my lake, I decided against it the next day. My substrate is a mix of sand, Eco-Complete, and Flourite(PAIN IN THE A** TO CLEAN!!).

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421773519.925382.jpg
Pressurized paintball co2 system. Plan to inject when plants really start growing.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421773615.548658.jpg
Finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421773745.749508.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421773776.931323.jpg

This was pics from the bacterial bloom. It got MUCH worse than those pics. Did a 50% water change and it has cleared 95% of the junk.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421773851.438133.jpg
after the water change :)

My tank currently has Cryptocoryne, Wisteria, Java Fern, and Anubias Nana. I have some more I'll be adding tommorow and will provide pics.

I have currently 6 fish and 4 snails

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421774063.187047.jpg
Dwarf Fire Belly Gourami

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421774107.141281.jpg
2 Angels

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421774159.678736.jpg
2 pictus catfish

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421774249.986136.jpg
Peacock (tire track) Eel

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421774288.425709.jpg
4 mystery snails

Will post more fish as they are added :)

I'd get that window covered sooner than later, you'll have an algae apocalypse in no time..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd get that window covered sooner than later, you'll have an algae apocalypse in no time..

Yes in that one photo it looks bad and it's actually a window from across the room. We might be moving the tank to another corner of the room if possible. As of right now we just go throw a towel over it for an hour at about 3:30pm till the sun is past direct contact with the tanks. No problems with algae yet. Thanks for the reminder though :)

Added more plants :)

Pogostemon Helferi x2

Assorted sword plant (echinodorus spp.) x2

Bacopa (bacopa caroliniana)

Amazon sword (echinodorus amazonicus)

White ribbon (dracaena sanderiana) x 3

I'll take a pic tomorrow because I stirred up the substrate planting them so my water is too cloudy right now.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Downoi is going to need a lot more light and the ribbon plant is not fully aquatic;) carry on!

Looks like your on the right track now. I am currently planting my 75 gallon tank as well. Will be nice to have yours to look at for a good reference .

I'm not following any form of "theme" for my tank I just get creative and do it myself. I'll post tank shot tonight.

One thing. My Aquaclear is pulling my plants backwards towards it because of the auction of the intake. Is their anything I can do because I don't want them uprooted but don't really want to turn off the filter either.

Caleb

Downoi is going to need a lot more light and the ribbon plant is not fully aquatic;) carry on!

Yeah I noticed the ribbon after I planted it. Working on it

Caleb

Good build thus far. I really liked that big piece of lake dw. I can see that as a focal point with a ton of java fern all around it. Something like this

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1421848668994.jpg
    1421848668994.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 188
Good build thus far. I really liked that big piece of lake dw. I can see that as a focal point with a ton of java fern all around it. Something like this

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That would be awesome the only thing is you can't tell from the photo that the thing was actually as wide at the tank. It touched the side edges to get it in. Leaving no room for my fish. If this was 300g tank I would do it but it is just too big for this tank :)

Caleb

What else should I do to my 55 gallon planted tank with pressurized co2! I just feel like it needs something or maybe not! Opinions?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421855869.989913.jpg

What else should I do to my 55 gallon planted tank with pressurized co2! I just feel like it needs something or maybe not! Opinions?View attachment 261753

You should start your own thread as to not take away from Caleb ' s build; )

Lol brookster. His tank looks better than mine right now though

Caleb

I'm at work, not feeling the love at the moment, I'll come by later and we'll hatch a plan!

I'm at work, not feeling the love at the moment, I'll come by later and we'll hatch a plan!

Same I'm at work. All my tanks run on timers because I'm gone most of the day.

Caleb

I can't believe I missed this but what did you mean by "Downoi" I'm bad at plant names to begin with ?

Caleb

Google:)

Ohh the Helferi. That was recommended to me by a friend that has quite a few tanks. Do you think my 36 inch LED is not enough light? It totals to 6000k of light.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom