First planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eric84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting ready to start my first planted tank it's going to be 90 gallon I was just wondering what type of filter I should get and how to do the substrate

Nothing to hard I'm hoping not to have a co2 system

6 bulb t5 but I might sell that and just use a 4 bulb unit

I'd go with a canister filter. I prefer the Fluval line, a 406 would work fine.

Substrate really depends on the look you are going for; natural river pebble, pool filter sand, black sand or a pebble look. Black Diamond blasting sand is good, Eco-Complete is good but pricey, pool filter sand is good and can be found for cheap, river pebble can be found for cheap as well.

It also depends on your stocking. If you want loaches or cory catfish, sand is better because of their barbells.

There's lots of ways to make a cheap gravel into a good planted tank without having to spend the money on something like Eco-Complete or another specific planted tank substrate.

I use pure untreated kitty litter (no clumping agents, no scent) it's usually sold as Oil-Dry (for soaking up spilled oil and such) just make sure there's no additives. Put a layer of that under whatever substrate you choose; pool filter sand, black diamond, river pebble etc. I also mix some Flora Base with mine, but it's not something you have to do. You can mix a very small amount of Osmocote Plus Plant food in the kitty litter. And I do mean a very small amount. I tried this with a tank I just set up recently and so far so good. No algae blooms.

Sounds good I was thinking of using a red flint sand as the base

I use eco complete mixed with fluval. I have an LED 6k light and my plants seem to be growing great. I also like the look of the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom