First Planted Tank! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's actually pretty neat that you don't have to wash it. And I'm quite flexible on lighting cost, just nothing insane. Is say under $100 reasonable? Maybe that's high I'm not sure xD completely new with plants and lighting.

You don't have to wash EcoComplete but your tank will get cloudy at first until things settle out or get filtered out. I have purchased 6 bags of EcoComplete in the last 7 months and I have yet to see the plastic bag of water conditioner / clarifier. These were purchased at Petco locally for cheap ($9 each). Ugh.

As mentioned above, checkout what the LFS has to offer in terms of lighting. Then google the product and look for reviews. Or post them in this thread; I'm sure you'll get some feedback.

If you go to the stickies in the freshwater planted forum I believe there are some helpful links to maintaining planted tanks.

Yes, BBA (Black Beard Algae) is a type of algae you don't want to get in your tank.

Thanks! :) when I go to buy the tank and filter and the very basic beginnings, I'll look around the store for lights and ask any employees what they think (sometimes they know what they're talking about, but it really can be a hit and miss from experience o-o) then do some more research like you said. I never really buy something like that without doing so first anyway:)

You don't have to wash EcoComplete but your tank will get cloudy at first until things settle out or get filtered out. I have purchased 6 bags of EcoComplete in the last 7 months and I have yet to see the plastic bag of water conditioner / clarifier. These were purchased at Petco locally for cheap ($9 each). Ugh.

As mentioned above, checkout what the LFS has to offer in terms of lighting. Then google the product and look for reviews. Or post them in this thread; I'm sure you'll get some feedback.

If you go to the stickies in the freshwater planted forum I believe there are some helpful links to maintaining planted tanks.

Yes, BBA (Black Beard Algae) is a type of algae you don't want to get in your tank.

If u get bba, Chinese algae eaters will get rid of it. Though cae are not my favorite algae eater, they do a good job of keeping an aquarium free of bba.

If u get bba, Chinese algae eaters will get rid of it. Though cae are not my favorite algae eater, they do a good job of keeping an aquarium free of bba.

Just wondering now, how do you get BBA? It is something that comes in on fish and plants that was already on there? And how easy is it to get?

Just wondering now, how do you get BBA? It is something that comes in on fish and plants that was already on there? And how easy is it to get?

I think bba comes when there is too high/low light ( I forgot which ). Fish dont get bba. Lol

I think bba comes when there is too high/low light ( I forgot which ). Fish dont get bba. Lol

The high low part made me laugh xD But thank you that's good to know. All I've ever had is bettas, guppies, and corries in no tank bigger than 5 gallons (been real easy to upkeep) and I've never had a big problem or anything like that to deal with .-. When I was little, I loved the goldfish at the Asian place I ate at with my parents so they went out and set up a big tank with two goldfish for me when I was about two. Completely off topic, but good memories :p I'm pretty sure that's where this whole fish thing started.

Yeah that's how it started for me too! I used to love to catch little mosquito fish at the local pond. Then my parents got me a large tank as a child... I had no idea how to care of them. Then all of a sudden, as an adult, I decided to give an aquarium a shot... a few years later, I have a MTS (multiple tank syndrome) problem now :oops:

Yeah that's how it started for me too! I used to love to catch little mosquito fish at the local pond. Then my parents got me a large tank as a child... I had no idea how to care of them. Then all of a sudden, as an adult, I decided to give an aquarium a shot... a few years later, I have a MTS (multiple tank syndrome) problem now :oops:

When I read " MTS " I thought u meant malaysian trumpet snails. Lol

The high low part made me laugh xD But thank you that's good to know. All I've ever had is bettas, guppies, and corries in no tank bigger than 5 gallons (been real easy to upkeep) and I've never had a big problem or anything like that to deal with .-. When I was little, I loved the goldfish at the Asian place I ate at with my parents so they went out and set up a big tank with two goldfish for me when I was about two. Completely off topic, but good memories :p I'm pretty sure that's where this whole fish thing started.

Lol. Ya, 5 gallons is definitely easy to keep. I started loving pets ( especially fish ) when someone gave me a corner 40 gallon tank for free. I had only a few fish in there. I still can't believe I got it for free.....

That's actually pretty neat that you don't have to wash it. And I'm quite flexible on lighting cost, just nothing insane. Is say under $100 reasonable? Maybe that's high I'm not sure xD completely new with plants and lighting.

I think the finnex ray 2 would be good for your tank. I just got that for a 20 long and it was like $110 with shipping on Amazon.

I think the finnex ray 2 would be good for your tank. I just got that for a 20 long and it was like $110 with shipping on Amazon.

Someone mentioned this one before I think, or maybe I read it somewhere else. Not sure. But I know it came up :p Experience with these lights anybody?

Excuse my ignorance of it, but is BBA a type of bad algae it seems like?

BBA is Black Bearded Algae. It looks like a black bush coming off the plants. It occurs typically when one of the corners I mentioned is out of whack. You can use Hydrogen Peroxide or EasyCarbo/EXCEL to spot treat it. It will change colors, typically start to fade within 12 hrs then change to a red then white within 24-36 hours of treatment. Once it turns white, your fish will eat it. I have endler guppies that eat it once it turns white.

Another thing you want to get is clay supplement to mix with whatever substrate you choose. You can buy it as the fish store and shouldn't cost more than $20. It is recommended that you wash this before mixing with substrate and you just follow the directions on the box to add it. This will add iron to your substrate, which unfortunately, you will need to supplement more so later by root tabs or iron fertilizer.

The only issue I am having is you say you are having a 40 gallon tank, is it a long 40, or a breeder? This will help with the light sitiuation. The Finnex Ray is a great LED light and has good PAR readings for low light plants! Also, if you have a long, you will need to get 2 which would get kinda pricey as your tank is 48" long. Another thing you want to pay attention to is the length of the light. The Finnex Ray II 24" that is recommended is a nice light but is only 24" long, which I think can expand to 30" with stand. This is not long enough unless you plan on making a hanging light stand, if you get my picture. So I would recommend doing some research for what you want to do. LEDs are the best lights out there for plants as you can fine tune them for better plant growth but the LED set-ups for plants are just not there yet unless you make the set-up or have a custom designed light fixture (which is VERY expensive).

Found the Eco complete through petco. I don't normally shop there for my fish, but it's where I'm going to get the new tank and possibly some fish depending on availability in my area. (Petco is a little out of the way here.) I want a sand pit for my corries as well, will this sand work well jw? And do you put anything under or on top of the plant substrate (not including mixing in the clay), or just leave it as it be and that's all you need?

Attachments

• image-2498305166.jpg
    image-2498305166.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image-2960891038.jpg
    image-2960891038.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 59
Sorry for the multiple post in a row here. But heres something I found. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image-3402779383.jpg
    image-3402779383.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 50
For a 40B, you should get the 36" Finnex FugeRay. The 40B is 17" tall so minus a few inches in substrate depth, the FugeRay LED fixture will give you (according to Finnex's PAR data) over 50 micromols of PAR, which is moderate lighting... perfect to grow all sorts of plants, even carpeting foreground plants with adequate fertilization and co2 or liquid carbon supplementation.

http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa...=1369845981&sr=1-1&keywords=finnex+fugeray+36

I have two of their Ray 2 model, which is more powerful and more expensive.. but the FugeRay, which is cheaper, is more than powerful enough for the dimension of the 40B with the plants you have listed (minus the ribbon plant, haha) and then some.

Found the Eco complete through petco. I don't normally shop there for my fish, but it's where I'm going to get the new tank and possibly some fish depending on availability in my area. (Petco is a little out of the way here.) I want a sand pit for my corries as well, will this sand work well jw? And do you put anything under or on top of the plant substrate (not including mixing in the clay), or just leave it as it be and that's all you need?

If u want to save a lot of $. Get pool filter sand. I use that as substrate and it was very cheap. Got 50 pounds for $6.
Also, u can put dirt to supplement growth.

Haha oops again on the ribbon plant xD and alright. I'll look at that one a little more, thank you Brian.

Now, this is my hood, is that light and this going to work? I haven't looked yet.

Attachments

• image-2469111376.jpg
    image-2469111376.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 51
If u want to save a lot of $. Get pool filter sand. I use that as substrate and it was very cheap. Got 50 pounds for $6.
Also, u can put dirt to supplement growth.

I originally looked at that. Not sure why I changed :p And I recently heard about the dirt and I think that is neat! I've been watching those "Dustin's Tanks" videos on YouTube to find out more about it.

Back
Top Bottom