Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
how much lighting should i put on the tank 12 hours? (i have 50 watts for 20 gallons).
I think the general rule of thumb for this is about 2-3watts per gallon of water for most plants. Of course not all plants need that much light, eg. java fern, anubias, other low light plants can get by with much less. The amount of CO2 in your water is, I believe, also going to play a part in the equation too, but that's beyond my basic knowledge (I know quite a lot about terrestrial plants, but not the watery kind!!) maybe someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
I also have question about planting how deep should i put roots of most plants?
You're correct, this is going to depend on the species. Those with bulbs or tubers should be placed on top of the substrate, and basically allowed to grow into it. This also applies to rhizomatous plants such as Anubia.
Those with regular roots can be planted straight into the substrate, just burying the roots up to the crown of the plant. Basically, the white parts buried, the green parts not

Quote:
thanks and i can put pictures up but honestly im alittle embarrassed all tanks online are goregous and mine is awesome through my own eyes because i love being like wow i created this but doesnt compare to majority of other planted tanks
I'm pretty sure it would put mine to shame! Also, IMO the only opinion that really matters when it comes to the aesthetics of a tank are yours and it's inhabitants. Everybody has their own idea about what looks good, so if you think your tank looks awesome, then your tank looks awesome!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey guys im new to the forum so this will be my first post. im wanting to convert a 55 gallon tank to a planted 55 gallon tank theres fish already in it and its been set up for about a year how do i go about switching the substrate with a more plant friendly one? also what is the best substrate to use im looking for a dark color like black or maybe brown and what lighting am i looking at for 55 gallon medium planted?
Thanks-david

Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
You're probably going to want around 130w or so of light, so you'll have the most flexibility without having to add co2 if you don't want to. If you can find Turface Pro league/MVP/Allsport in the grey color, it'll be pretty cheap, maybe 10-20$ to cover your entire tank. Otherwise eco complete or ada aquasoil would work, depending on how much you want to spend. When you swap substrates, you'll probably want to watch for a mini cycle. How big it is depends on how much surface area you have in your filter and how many plants you have.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mondo isn't an aquatic unfortunately. However! I have the same lighting as you do and can grow just about anything. Blyxa Japonica resembles mondo and is an obligate aquatic plant. With that light you better set up CO2. I can answer some questions you may have...

8 hours to grow things right. 6 hours to reduce maintenance and algae once everything is grown in. The shorter your lighting period the slower but stronger your growth. Sagittaria Subulata also is simliar and is easier to keep than blyxa. I used to use PFS with diy root tabs which grew things very well...almost too well (too much dwarf hairgrass ahhhhh) and now I just use Caribsea Floramax with is cheaper than both seachem by 3 dollars and eco comp by 2 dollars.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

thanks danny for your reply im wondering what does the turf do for the plants isnt it like rubber? and also if i want better lighting to sustain plant life do i have to buy a whole new hood or could i just get better bulbs? i just have like all stock right now..came with tank in the box and i not what are my options i have kind of a tight budget.?
thanks-david

Tags
aquascaping, begginer, first planted tank, freshwater planted tank, plant, planted, planted aquarium help, planted tank, substrate, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com