First plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally got to the pet store to pic up my first plants!

I walked out with 5-6 small amazon sword plants and a Java fern windelov. I hadn't seen the windelov before but it was a good price so I snatched it up.

I only asked for 4 of the amazon sword and realized when I got home he had given me more. :)

Anyone have any experience with the Windelov? My reading seems to say it's about the same care as standard java fern. I love the look and am sort of kicking myself for just grabbing one but I wanted to be sure I didn't kill these before dropping too much cash into it. lol

Also I grabbed flourish root tabs(have sand substrate) this should be about all I need right? I'll grab some liquid ferts for the java fern if I have to but do you think it's a stretch to think a single plant can get what it needs from the tank as is?

I have a good size stand of Wendilov. If you click on this link and look at the 3rd picture over there are several Wendilov's originally tied close together so they make one bigger plants.... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 12-1-2012 - Picture. As for ferts, I'd wait and see how it grows first. It may or may not need them. One thing I can tell you is that Excel/Glut/API CO2 booster all really help the Wendilov grow. Mine in other tanks didn't grow as much until I added Glut and then they took off. Hope this helps.

I have a good size stand of Wendilov. If you click on this link and look at the 3rd picture over there are several Wendilov's originally tied close together so they make one bigger plants.... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 12-1-2012 - Picture. As for ferts, I'd wait and see how it grows first. It may or may not need them. One thing I can tell you is that Excel/Glut/API CO2 booster all really help the Wendilov grow. Mine in other tanks didn't grow as much until I added Glut and then they took off. Hope this helps.

very nice! When I'm sure this one is doing well I believe I will go back and get a few more. It's got a very nice look. My angel really seems to like it. I see him hovering around it often since I put it in the tank. I don't have it secured yet, Not sure where I want to put it so it's just "wedged" between branches on DW for now..

I was looking at some liquid ferts while there, though they were pretty low on stock I did see a liquid pack. Fundamentals plant pack I think it was... Flourish, flourish iron and flourish excel. Not sure if this is really needed for me though. It's all low tech so maybe just sticking with regular excel would be better?

never heard of Glut.. is this juts a brand or is it something specific?

Glutaraldehyde is the same as Excel but way cheaper. I can get a gallon for $27 including shipping, mix it with 1-1/2 gallons of RO water to get 2-1/2 gallons at that low price. It is so much more economical than using Excel.

Probably all you need is a bit of Flourish Comprehensive weekly after a WC. Not even a full dose with only having one plant. That is about all I think you need. Just like Excel, you wouldn't need a full dose daily with only one plant. Now if you start adding more plants then you will need to dose the full amount of Excel/Glut. What is does is help the plant with photosynthesis and growth, which in turn makes the plant use more nutrients in the water, which helps the plants outcompete algae for nutrients in the water.

Glutaraldehyde is the same as Excel but way cheaper. I can get a gallon for $27 including shipping, mix it with 1-1/2 gallons of RO water to get 2-1/2 gallons at that low price. It is so much more economical than using Excel.

Probably all you need is a bit of Flourish Comprehensive weekly after a WC. Not even a full dose with only having one plant. That is about all I think you need. Just like Excel, you wouldn't need a full dose daily with only one plant. Now if you start adding more plants then you will need to dose the full amount of Excel/Glut. What is does is help the plant with photosynthesis and growth, which in turn makes the plant use more nutrients in the water, which helps the plants outcompete algae for nutrients in the water.

Ok, that makes sense. I think I had spoken with you on another thread before about the Glut actually. I remember checking out a link you posted but the shipping to where I live was insane. I'll have to see if I can find some more local.

I will def be getting some more plants over the next little while. Just need to do it slowly and make sure that things run smoothly with these. I'm pretty certain my light will be fine, I've had several tell me they use it for low light with no issues but I want to be sure..

The fella at the pet store I spoke with said they are working on some new shipments of plants as well so I'm looking forward to that as well. They are marine mostly and have a smaller selection of fresh water items, I like to do as much business with them as I can. Nice small local business. Actually owned by a highschool friend.

well shoot. It's not looking good. :( My amazon swords might be dying. I'm not sure if it's just the stress of the move and that they will bounce back or if my lighting isn't enough. :(

I have a marineland double bright LED set up. I researched it and had several people tell me they grow low light plants with success and most of the failures seemed to be on taller tanks, mine is only 16 inches tall.

If this light doesn't work it's a serious kick in the pants and a waste of money. :( Should have probably skipped the LEDS. I knew I wouldn't get great growth but didn't expect them to die on me.

The only thing I think could be screwing it up is that I had the fixture wrapped in plastic wrap(strange I know) because my lid is on order, should be in in a week. I removed the wrap and am hoping for improvement but I dunno.. Even so, when I put the new lid on how likely is it to have the same effect on the lighting?

Back
Top Bottom