First Post, new tank, lets GO!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok...things are starting to get into a routine, actually growing something. Riccia is down and growing well, had few stow away snails- neat watching them go up and down the grid like mini combines. Still thinking what to do w/ the right side of the tank

looks like it's got some nice potential. love the rocks. Looks like I sent you a little too much riccia eh? lol. I'd put some taller stuff on the right side

Better too much, in case there are 'problems', starting to see some hair algae? I was running 12 hour light but have it off right now and plan on reducing to 9 hours.

I was thinking of planting some pogostemon helferi around the angled rock and seeing where that would go-possibly a little more riccia in the front right. Work in progress. How quickly do snails reproduce, cuz I think I have more now!

I tested my nitrates last night and they are 0, so I should be adding more right? I have no load to speak of(not sure how much 8 snails can contribute) also I did a retrofit of my 20" 28watt Coralife light- its now a 48 watt for about $8- Is that part of my problem- too much light?

As stated earlier-I'm noticing hair algae beginning to form which says I have a problem. I cut my light down from 12 hours to 9 and I plan on doing another water change today and was going to the lfs to get some supplies if needed.

You'll want to dose your Nitrates to about 20ppm. Since you're having to dose Nitrates, you'll probably need to dose Phosphates too. About 1-2ppm Phosphates should be about right.

Forgive my newbness, but what would you recommend for adding nitrates and phosphates? Are there any other things that I need to get?

My plan is to have some riccia(which seems to be growing well), some type of plants which dont grow too tall-5" or so, some rcs and maybe an oto or 2. I'd rather avoid playing mad scientist with motar and pestle. KISS principal all the way

Appreciate all the info so far-just trying to avoid disaster and disappointment.

I'd get some dry ferts from rex grigg's website. I'm not on my home computer right now, and don't have time to look it up, but it's really easy to dose.

Rex Grigg's website has a combo pack that contains all the ferts that you would likely need. Easier to order it all at once than make several orders, especially since the shipping is the largest part of the cost.

ok, I ordered some stuff, could be about a week. Right now I just have some excel, and some seachem potassium. Is there anything else I can use till the real stuff gets here? My hair algae is growing well, but on a more encouraging thought- so is the riccia.

Some of the plants have a few leaves with brown spots, and 1 leaf with brown spots and brown edges

I had a huge problem with snails after I started my tank, nothing works like having a natural enemy :) Have a clown loach (tiger loach), it looks fantastic and it will clean your tank of snails, just remember to remove the empty shells because the loach only sucks the snail from the shell.

p7113303.jpg

Back
Top Bottom