first proper planted tank. high tech.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

molliwopp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I need advice on planted tanks. Im not a complete stranger to live plants but only had java ferns, moss and anubias which grow fine without co2 and just a simple gravel substrate.

Moving my tetra from a 20 to a 30 and want the plants to flurish, so help me progress.

Substrates?
Co2 options?
Ferts?

Also what is it defines a high tech and low tech tank.

In my opinion, the difference between high tech and low tech is pressurized CO2. I don't think we have really formal definitions as a hobby, and you can probably geek out a non-CO2 tank (autodosing Excel and LEDs, etc), but that seems about as good a point as any to draw the line.

It's possible to grow a nice tank without CO2 or with DIY CO2 without have to throw several hundred dollars at a CO2 system. Same thing with lights. There's a whole spectrum of 'tech' that range from cheap, effective, but kind of ugly (DIY CO2 and clip-on lights, $50 total at your local Walmart) to sleep and sexy tech (Dual stage regulator with pH probe, LED lighting, easily $400+). There exists a similar concept with substrate, where simple sand will get the job done but Aquasoil will do it in style.

To better address your needs, what kind of budget are you wanting to commit to these? What are your goals with the tank?

What i really want is to create a better enviroment for cleaner water with enough plants to condition and keep a healthier tank.

Budget shouldnt really be an issue because im hoping to save a large chunk by using the supplied t5 in the hood but i think buying the plants is where its going to start costing.

Ive been looking at the co2 units from fluval, they arnt expensive but buying refills i imagine is where they'll make some cash. I sometime enjoy abit of DIY so home made co2 is probably worth looking into. Co2 is still only something im toying with

I haven't heard ANYTHING good about those cheap fluval co2 systems. If you are going to do co2, do it right the first time. I don't want to see you waste money for something that is going to be nothing but a pain in the butt.

What i really want is to create a better enviroment for cleaner water with enough plants to condition and keep a healthier tank.

Budget shouldnt really be an issue because im hoping to save a large chunk by using the supplied t5 in the hood but i think buying the plants is where its going to start costing.

Ive been looking at the co2 units from fluval, they arnt expensive but buying refills i imagine is where they'll make some cash. I sometime enjoy abit of DIY so home made co2 is probably worth looking into. Co2 is still only something im toying with

The plants are cheap unless you go with the outrageous new trending plants that sell for waay too much.

I would also skip the fluval co2 units. If you want to run a paintball co2 canister look into the aquatek co2 systems. I've heard a ton of good things about them. Diy co2 is a pain and having tried it for my 10g I ended up just skipping it and going with glut.

Are the t5s in the hood Normal or high output?

Ive just looked at the t5 its just an energy saving one so now im thinking that wont be enough? So i better get looking for better lighting. Any recommendations for a 30g 80x35 tank??

Maybe the title of my thread is off topic from what i want. Speaking about high tech, t5 probably doesnt even get considered in high tech tanks.

Maybe im shooting ambitions alittle far. The only experience i have with plants is gravel substrate and java fern, moss and anubias which all grow ok and thats withoit root tabs. With a decent substrate and abit of liquid fert maybe i could get the desired effect im actually looking for.

T5 high output is pretty much the standard lighting. You get all the wattage you need without creating mass amounts of heat ie. metal halide. And they keep you electric bill from going crazy.

Back
Top Bottom