first shot at a planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
here's a pic of my first attempt at a planted tank & also my first attempt at using aquarium sand ..

i do have a quick question.. i bought some bamboo at petco (seen left) & i was wondering -- do i have to buy bamboo thats been raised in water or can i use the ones i find at shoprite & just throw them in? probably cheaper at my lfs but they have REALLY cool ones at my shoprite :)

i wanna add 2 more bamboos & maybe one more sword for plants..

lemme know what ya think!!

all help appreciated!!

thanks brochachoes :)

Attachments

• image-2274262652.jpg
    image-2274262652.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 99
Ok nice tank, and that is lucky bamboo! Sold at a lot of places and it is safe to buy from any store!
The bamboo is not actually bamboo at all, it's grass, but that's another story!
Well the leaves have to stay above water so you should take them out and get taller! Keep the leaves and the leaf stalks dry.
You will probably want to get taller bamboo so it doesn't die!

ronnieroach said:
thanks!!

i'll probably just take it out & replace it w/ a diff plant then lol

thats my filter side so i need something sturdy ;)

I don't know what's to sturdy. Maybe something that is a ground level plant that probably will stay away from the filter.
Or just get taller bamboo?

well i have a lid so "bamboo" is out lol

i altered my filters output today so i think another grass plant will be ok.. i'll shop around next week & see what i can find

appreciate the help & any more plant suggestions ya got are always welcome

What kind of light are you using? I like the tint it gives the tank.

About the bamboo, it can be submerged as I had mine grow great that way for almost a year. The leaves will start to grow out of the water and looked nice. But if you want to take ot out and want a sturdy plant, I would vote for anubius or crypts. Both grow slow but look nice once they start filling in.

Yeah you can I had to before I got my 220 you just cut the leaves that are getting to big off completely from the base

You have to cut it from the bottom if the stem, if you just cut off the leaf the stem will rot

Back
Top Bottom