First time co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blos85

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really want to try my hands on co2 by im kinda scared to jump into it. I know it aint for beginners with the risk of killing your fish and all but i know it its amazing for plant growth and sometimes absolutely necessary. Well i own a 20lb co2 tank with a micromatic regulator but being an ex-paintballer i have some smaller tanks in which i would rather use cuz they are much smaller.

Can you all give me some pointers as to what i NEED to have in order to do it on a budget. Or if i should even risk it. Ive just heard some horror stories about it with ph changing suffocating your fish....and a few more i dont remember tho.

Thank you all very much

I personally dont understand it but i have read that light intensity effects co2 levels so.....

29gT
2 T8 17w colormax
2 T5 14w colormax

If its important at all heres a pic of the tank to show how heavily planted it is.

Attachments

• image-1800295354.jpg
    image-1800295354.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 84
  • image-3722770129.jpg
    image-3722770129.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-2275433902.jpg
    image-2275433902.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 94
The bigger co2 tank you can afford and have the room for, the better in my opinion. It will last longer which means less refills and hassle having to disconnect everything. With a 20oz paintball tank on a 29 gallon, you would only get a few weeks compared to over a year with the 20lb (most likely).

My co2 set up has a 5lb Co2 tank, an AquaticLife(I think) dual gauge regulator, a Fluval bubble counter and an Atomic co2 diffuser. Your also going to need a timer so you can set it to go off/on with your lights. Also might want to purchase co2 resistant tubing if you have the money for it. You can get it on Amazon for pretty cheap.

My first official large planted tank I set up a few months ago was my first try with co2 and at that point I had only had maybe 2 months of live plant experience. Just did a lot of research...a lot. The people on this thread are amazingly knowledgeable about this kind of stuff so you shouldn't be intimidated! Maybe ask a friend or family member to work on it with you, that's what I did and it made me feel better :)

Lol i understand no biggie....well here is what i got in case you didnt see my profile.....beer brewing was my first hobby so im pretty stocked with co2 accessaries ALTHOUGH after the tank i dont think it matches with aquariums lol....

No timer just a basic regulator with two gages...tank pressure...and output pressure. I can rig it to connect to airline tubing to connect to a diffuser plate and im pretty sure considering i work the night shift i could turn it off at night but im scared in case i forget ill come home to floating sushi and i care enough about my pets to not trust myself. Do i have to buy a new regulator or is there a product i can hook up after the main regulator to be times with the light? My light is already on a in line switch(timer). Takes place of a two pole standard bedroom switch and this is it

I agree this forum (THE MEMBERS!!) are absolutely amazing! Extremely knowledgeable and even more so extremely courteous. My type of people and makes me proud to be part of the the aquatic community:).

Attachments

• image-4113769221.jpg
    image-4113769221.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1074520398.jpg
    image-1074520398.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 82
My entire stand has been customized originally to house a reptile but lately has been converted to fish(no complaints) its been upgraded:) although as i said the co2 scares me and unfortunately i am a man on a tight budget. If i have to get all new equipment (minus the tank of course). Can adding more fish help for the meantime?

Like i said i only have have 6 fish and IMO its pretty heavily planted and pretty high lighted. I have room for more fish definitely i just havent because i been wanted some of my marigold fry to survive.

I just checked my nitrates tho a little bit ago and there are 0. "Rivercats" i know they are surpose to be higher you have told me that a bunch of times. What are my options in raising them? That sounds like a dumb question cuz im pretty sure its more fish correct?

Before the questions are asked...my ferts are:

Flourish-comprehensive from seachem.
- I treat 1 Capful(5ml) every 40% change once a week or more.
-stated for a 60gal tank so im overtreating

All my root feeders im in between Jobs spikes and....

Miracle-Gro indoor food spikes

Total nitrogen.....6%
Phosphate.....12%
Potash.....6%
Magnesium.....(.50%)
Sulfer.....2%
Boron.....(.02%)
Copper....(.05%)
Iron.....(.15%)
Manganese....(.05%)
Zinc.....(.05%)

My entire stand has been customized originally to house a reptile but lately has been converted to fish(no complaints) its been upgraded:) although as i said the co2 scares me and unfortunately i am a man on a tight budget. If i have to get all new equipment (minus the tank of course). Can adding more fish help for the meantime?

Like i said i only have have 6 fish and IMO its pretty heavily planted and pretty high lighted. I have room for more fish definitely i just havent because i been wanted some of my marigold fry to survive.

I just checked my nitrates tho a little bit ago and there are 0. "Rivercats" i know they are surpose to be higher you have told me that a bunch of times. What are my options in raising them? That sounds like a dumb question cuz im pretty sure its more fish correct?

Nitrate macro nutrients. Dose them in your tank to keep a steady nitrate level of between 10-20ppm. You can either get dry and mix them yourself which is cheaper or you can get premixed ones. The three macros to dose are potassium, nitrate and phosphorus.
You don't need co2 to get a great tank!! It helps with growth and some plants require it like HC. It's a good way to upgrade the tank but the equipment to do it can be pricey. You could do a DIY system. I'm not sure how to do that but a quick Google search could tell you. I hear a lot of people who have good results with them.
As far as using to much co2, just be smart about it. 2-3 bps is what most people use. I need 4 bps bc my ph is really high. Just watch the fish and look for signs of struggled breathing like gasping at the surface. A drop checker is a failsafe way to not over dose co2.
Also, if you do get co2, remember that you will have to start dosing more because of the increased growth rate.
Assuming the tank that you are thinking about adding co2 is the one from your profile, you have a beautiful tank already!

Nitrate macro nutrients. Dose them in your tank to keep a steady nitrate level of between 10-20ppm. You can either get dry and mix them yourself which is cheaper or you can get premixed ones. The three macros to dose are potassium, nitrate and phosphorus.
You don't need co2 to get a great tank!! It helps with growth and some plants require it like HC. It's a good way to upgrade the tank but the equipment to do it can be pricey. You could do a DIY system. I'm not sure how to do that but a quick Google search could tell you. I hear a lot of people who have good results with them.
As far as using to much co2, just be smart about it. 2-3 bps is what most people use. I need 4 bps bc my ph is really high. Just watch the fish and look for signs of struggled breathing like gasping at the surface. A drop checker is a failsafe way to not over dose co2.
Also, if you do get co2, remember that you will have to start dosing more because of the increased growth rate.
Assuming the tank that you are thinking about adding co2 is the one from your profile, you have a beautiful tank already!

:) thank you! Being a newbie plant obsessor i must say its my pride and joy of my 4 tanks. Certainly makes me feel good that i must be doing something right. I guess i just know im sitting on most of the equipment so i feel i should put them to use. I here a lot of discussion on here regarding it also with great outcomes. Thanks for the help im sure ill graduate to the co2 one day in the future!

I started Co2 about 3 months ago. I have been through the same thoughts you have. It's really not hard to do at all.

I don't have pictures of my co2 set up on me, not at the right house. Hawking might. I am sure someone who is floating around here does though and wouldn't mind posting them. If not I'll snap a few of mine and post them on Thursday. My setup is really basic. Some people use ph monitors which will automatically turn on/off the co2 based on the ph readings. These are good if you have fish that are sensitive to ph swings. Also, some use reactors which are said to help the co2 the absorb better (I think I'm saying that wrong sorry).There are also analog style needle valves which you can set the dial to 2bps and it will adjust itself, just takes the guess work out of it.

Here is my Co2 setup.

1. Milwaukee regulator with an electric solenoid, with included bubble counter. It all comes in one piece. The gauge on the left is a high pressure gauge, the gauge on the right is a low pressure guage. The knob in the center is called a "needle valve" and when you turn it clockwise it turns the low pressure up. The high pressure gauge just tells you how your total supply of Co2 is doing. That black box part on the right, before the bubble counter, is the electric solenoid, which is just an electric valve that Is open so as long as the thing is getting power, and closed if the power shuts off. As you turn the low pressure up, bubbles will start showing in the bubble counter.

2. Milwaukee SMS122 ph sensor, controller. This all comes together. This thing makes the Co2 automated, the dial in the center where one red arrow is pointing can be set to a target Ph level. Mine is currently set at 7.1. The screen above it displays the current ph level in the tank. The second red arrow is pointing to a cord that is attached to a sensor which is hidden in the water in the corner of my tank behind some plants. The sensor itself looks like "glow stick" that kids play with on Halloween. Anyway, that sensor is calibrated using some liquid calibration packets supplied with the kit (clear instructions are provided on how to do this). The plug coming from the electric solenoid (on the regulator) plugs into this too. If the actual ph is higher than the target ph, then it keeps the Co2 on. Once the ph drops to or below the target ph, it shuts off.

3. This is an UP Aqua inline Co2 atomizer. It is a fancy word for air stone, in my humble opinion. There are several different options to use instead of this. I chose an inline atomizer because I want to hide as much stuff as I can out of sight. It has no moving parts. The thing I don't like about it is cleaning it - I have had to take it off once and soak it in hydrogen peroxide because it was apparently clogged. Of course, you will also need a Co2 tank. A guy I know who brews his own beer hooked me up with a place that will sell the tank and, when empty, will do Co2 cylinder exchanges.

Attachments

• image-3281359240.jpg
    image-3281359240.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom