First time CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thanks to a member generously offering their regulator for a very good price I think I want to try CO2, but I have never done this before.

The regulator is an aquatek mini. I'm planning on using paintball CO2 canisters. I know I need a drop checker and some kind of diffuser. Do I need anything else?

The tank is a 55 gallon with a Beamswork Razor LED estimated at about 40 par at substrate level. Plants are currently a lot of jungle vals and some bacopa and a dwarf chain sword. I plan on adding some other plants, probably some amazon swords in particular and some sort of carpet plant. The tank has root tabs and is fertilized with Seachem Flourish and API Leaf Zone.

My tap water is very soft- around KH of 3. So do I need to buffer the water to be able to add an appropriate amount of CO2?

I have this regulator and it's been working great for me. Have it hooked up on a 20 oz. Co2 tank, doing great and this is going to last me a while. I would get it, it's a really good regulator. I suggest investing in Co2 proof tubing, it will save a lot of Co2 from escaping the normal air line tubing. The aquatek diffuser is really good, I like it a lot. Seems to be doing it's job. Takes a few days of running it to really get soaked through and producing micro bubbles, but once it does it makes a very fine mist.

OK thanks! So what exactly is built into this regulator? From what I can tell it actually includes a needle valve and a bubble counter?

OK thanks! So what exactly is built into this regulator? From what I can tell it actually includes a needle valve and a bubble counter?

The regulator itself is combined with a solenoid, which means you can hook that up to a timer and it will shut off when you want it to. With the other regulators you have to buy a solenoid separately, which makes the regulator itself cheaper but when the price of a solenoid is added it will cost more. There is a bubble counter included with the regulator but not built onto it. I hooked mine up with the bubble counter, works great. I can post some pics if you need them. Also, the diffuser serves as a bubble counter too, but I prefer to look at the separate on that I hooked onto the tank.

I have this regulator and it's been working great for me. Have it hooked up on a 20 oz. Co2 tank, doing great and this is going to last me a while. I would get it, it's a really good regulator. I suggest investing in Co2 proof tubing, it will save a lot of Co2 from escaping the normal air line tubing. The aquatek diffuser is really good, I like it a lot. Seems to be doing it's job. Takes a few days of running it to really get soaked through and producing micro bubbles, but once it does it makes a very fine mist.

Do you know how long the Co2 will last? I also have a 50 gal tank I'm going to start using pressurized Co2 in.

Really depends on how many BPS (bubbles per second) you run and how big the tank is. My 20 oz tank running 1-2 BPS will probably last me at least 4 months, but with a 50 gallon tank you'll want to be running at least 4 BPS, so maybe 1-2 months?

Really depends on how many BPS (bubbles per second) you run and how big the tank is. My 20 oz tank running 1-2 BPS will probably last me at least 4 months, but with a 50 gallon tank you'll want to be running at least 4 BPS, so maybe 1-2 months?

Thanks. That's part of what discourages me from doing a paintball Co2. I don't want to be refilling all the time.

Thanks. That's part of what discourages me from doing a paintball Co2. I don't want to be refilling all the time.

That's why I got the Aquatek Premium regulator. Fits regular tanks and paintball tanks with an adaptor. So far I'm getting about 4 months per refill on a 24 oz PB tank for a 20g. My CO2 tank always seems to be empty during holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Subscribed! And sinitbotia I was scouting that regulator too! Oh well, I'm glad you posted looking for help, now I can follow a long and hopefully learn a thing or two!

Subscribed! And sinitbotia I was scouting that regulator too! Oh well, I'm glad you posted looking for help, now I can follow a long and hopefully learn a thing or two!

Long story short I didn't get the regulator, and I can't afford a normal price regulator right now, so this idea is going on hold :(

Aw sini :( I'm running a cheaper option on the 40 with DIY. Got DADY and yeast food off Amazon. 1 tsp each yeast/food/baking soda, 1 cup sugar gets me two weeks. Pepsi bottle, check valve, Fluval bubble counter, GLA diffuser.

It does work. I trimmed DHG a few days ago. Above the mass is new growth. Less than $30 even with shipping-I got the diffuser from here. I hate to see the unsinkable sini thwarted!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449693506.536447.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449693506.536447.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 65
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449693591.198145.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449693591.198145.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 72
Aw sini :( I'm running a cheaper option on the 40 with DIY. Got DADY and yeast food off Amazon. 1 tsp each yeast/food/baking soda, 1 cup sugar gets me two weeks. Pepsi bottle, check valve, Fluval bubble counter, GLA diffuser.

It does work. I trimmed DHG a few days ago. Above the mass is new growth. Less than $30 even with shipping-I got the diffuser from here. I hate to see the unsinkable sini thwarted!

Can't see the pics! :(

Ehh I'm not thwarted. I just have to budget my time carefully- got a kid, a wife, a degree program and a bajillion fish! I'd rather wait till I can sell the angelfish and rams I'm raising and put that profit towards a nice set-and-forget pressurized system. Gotta focus on keeping up the water changes and feedings on the fry.

Yeeeaaaahhh. That time thing. I'm with you. Saving up now for a pressurized system. Can't be having explosions with two lidless tanks. Don't even want lids. Definitely don't want explosions. My goof for sure, but still.

Yeeeaaaahhh. That time thing. I'm with you. Saving up now for a pressurized system. Can't be having explosions with two lidless tanks. Don't even want lids. Definitely don't want explosions. My goof for sure, but still.

Laeris your DIY co2 exploded?!?

Laeris your DIY co2 exploded?!?

I believe it was the back pressure from the ceramic diffuser on a DIY CO2 system.
Not sure if 2L plastic bottles or similar were involved. I also used juice or Gatorade bottles; felt they were a bit more sturdier.

I've accidentally gassed the crap out of my plants (No fish at the time) Yep, back pressure did it. My own fault without a doubt. Pepsi bottle, valve sealed with lash glue at first-don't laugh it worked!-then silicon. If I had stuck with the lash glue, it might not have been so dramatic.

I've cut back my mix because I do have time to mix a new batch daily and it's doing fine with the air line fed behind the foam wall. NBD.

Don't be scared of DIY, regardless :)

Regarding the DIY CO2 and a 55g, I say it might make a difference if a CO2 reactor was used (to ensure 100% dissolution). If you use multiple batches/bottles that are changed regularly then it should overcome the inconsistencies of DIY CO2. I used DIY CO2 for about a year on a 20 long and had good results despite piping whole bubbles into the HOB filter intake.
Other factors will come into play such as surface agitation, surface movement, and amount of light as to effectiveness of DIY CO2 when used in a larger (55g) tank.
My setup used no glue or sealants. I drilled a 3/8" hole into the lid of a juice bottle and using needle nose pliers I pulled silicone airline tubing through the hole. The end of the airline tubing was cut at a sharp angle to help thread it through the hole. The spongy nature of the silicone helped seal the hole IMO.

Back
Top Bottom