First time mixing dry ferts. Is this right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey experts on planted tanks and dry ferts. I have bought and mixed together my first macro and micro set of ferts from green leaf aquariums. I want to shoe you my notes of what to mix in and how i did it. I used the rotala butterfly website to try to find out what amount of each fertilizer to use. I also dosed for the Estimated Index method (roughly). I have a 75gal tank and also have a Ca and Mg deficiency that I am hoping these dry salts that i purchased from GLA will help. Any advise on if i did it correctly or if i totally F'd something up with my calculations would be greatly appriciated.
Pictures are of the 500ml containers for macro and micro ferts as well as the amount that i put into each container. The third is of thr fertilizers that i used. There is a section on that paper of salts to at to RO water, just ignore that part. Im just wondering if the micro and macro amounts i have are accurate for a 500ml bottle at 15ml a dose. Seems like alot...0714192140a.jpg0714192141.jpg0714192141_HDR.jpg

I just straight out dry dose into tank the majors so can’t help much but ratio looks about right.

I just check nitrate and phosphate readings every so often as tank fills in.

I just straight out dry dose into tank the majors so can’t help much but ratio looks about right.

I just check nitrate and phosphate readings every so often as tank fills in.
Really? How much do you put in and how often do you dry fert your tank?

Rotala butterfly says i have the correct amounts of fertilizers for a 500ml bottle however even after waiting 24 hours there is still a very thick layer of fertilizers on the bottom that isnt blending in. Is this normal? Do i just need to shake really well then dose quickly before it settles to the bottom again?

Ill attach a picture to show you what i mean.0715191320.jpg

Yeah, I mix up a liquid for PMDD’s as well (Poor Mans Dosing Drops - kind of the precursor to these). Also get a powder at bottom and have to shake it up.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/PMDD.htm

My tank has just been hacked back and mostly just ferns with no quick growing stem plants really. So I change dosing for plant mass. I also use the app but check nitrates and phosphate (when I remember) and adjust dose to suit. I assume potassium level same as nitrate (a few stem plants handy as the lower leaves get holes quick if too low). My tank is 150gal but I’d think 75gal would be just as easy.

I’ve bought some measuring spoons for pinch, etc. Dose nightly pretty much. It suits me as I seem rare here in liking test kits lol but your mixing method is pretty much tried and tested.

Last edited:
Alright. I feel better that you agree that the mixing job and outcome of what i have done. Thank you for the advice and link as well. I am getting micro sword everywhere which is causing me to find a ton of old rot from the leaves through out the tank. Im going to have to do a major cut back shortly as well.

Back
Top Bottom