First time planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, it looks like ADA! Very cool.

...so at 2 inch eco,1 inch soil, do roots tend to find their way through the eco to the soil and then spread?

I'd love to go walstad next tank. Ppl seem to love it.

1" soil 1.5" Eco capping. As far as I know they do yea. I haven't pulled any plants out yet but I've got some new additions coming tomorrow so I'll be pulling a few out. I'll let u know how I go with it. Slow and steady and it should be fine ;)

I prefer sand myself and just add diy root tabs. All of the plant substrate is made of a porous clay basically and can absorb nutrients which can lead to problems. Like others have sand it's just a matter of personal preference. I like sand and so go my Cory and Loaches.

I prefer sand myself and just add diy root tabs. All of the plant substrate is made of a porous clay basically and can absorb nutrients which can lead to problems. Like others have sand it's just a matter of personal preference. I like sand and so go my Cory and Loaches.
I always considered eco to be more of a lava rock (basalt) makeup and the others like aquasoil to be clay based. But I suppose it's hard to tell. Always wanted to try Tahitian Moon Sand. Sands do look nice.

I always considered eco to be more of a lava rock (basalt) makeup and the others like aquasoil to be clay based. But I suppose it's hard to tell. Always wanted to try Tahitian Moon Sand. Sands do look nice.
Thats the way I see it...I got tahitian in my sons spec its nice. 20170326_105239.jpg

I have wisteria in my betta tank which has pretty low light and it grows like a weed, betta loves to roll around in it!

Back
Top Bottom