First time with live plants, need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henri

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone :)!
I have a 10G at home and I really find live plants exciting so I wanted to add one in my tank. Well the opportunity came. Im on vacation and there are A LOT of ponds and creeks in the village im in. haha thats why I asked my parents to come here, because of the ponds.
So I really wanted to get Java Moss but its not available at my country's LFSs and I cant afford buying it online because the shipping to my country is a bit expensive :(...
Anyways, I found this moss that looks exactly like Christmas Moss, but Im not 100% sure if thats it because the moss I found was thicker, had a darker green color. Anyways Im not sure, Ive asked several people and Ive been told that its okay to experiment, since the moss had plenty of living creatures in it, it wont be harmful to my fish (I will of course kill the hitchhikers). Anyways, I really dont want anything bad to happen, can I add the moss in my tank? Can I post a picture here, so any of you could help me ID it? Thanks a Lot everyone!
Henri

Henri said:
Hello everyone :)!
I have a 10G at home and I really find live plants exciting so I wanted to add one in my tank. Well the opportunity came. Im on vacation and there are A LOT of ponds and creeks in the village im in. haha thats why I asked my parents to come here, because of the ponds.
So I really wanted to get Java Moss but its not available at my country's LFSs and I cant afford buying it online because the shipping to my country is a bit expensive :(...
Anyways, I found this moss that looks exactly like Christmas Moss, but Im not 100% sure if thats it because the moss I found was thicker, had a darker green color. Anyways Im not sure, Ive asked several people and Ive been told that its okay to experiment, since the moss had plenty of living creatures in it, it wont be harmful to my fish (I will of course kill the hitchhikers). Anyways, I really dont want anything bad to happen, can I add the moss in my tank? Can I post a picture here, so any of you could help me ID it? Thanks a Lot everyone!
Henri

I don't recommend using plants from public ponds. Because u don't know what they may carry. But yes post a pic and we can help identify it! Does Ur LFS have any other aquatic plants?

my LFS sells only fake plants. Im tired of buying them, they get dissolved in the water and soon start to lose some threads and I find them all over the tank and in the filter :(...
The pond here isnt used by people for anything, they ignore it all the time, the water od the pond comes from a cold stream from the mountais, so the water is clean. Thanks! :D

ok so I got the plants. The first one is a moss that to me looks like christmass moss, but I cant be sure... And the second one is a plant I found fully submerged, can you help me ID them? There are plenty in the pond, I might consider getting another one, Im sorry, I might act rude but can you help me with that one too? My tank looks empty and I really want a live plant in it :(...
Thanks!

Attachments

• Moss.jpg
    Moss.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Plant.jpg
    Plant.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 104
I don't know that I'd ever use plants from a pond either. If you can't find them locally, I'd suggest looking online. There's a bunch of sites, just google them, or there's some members here that sell and even give away plants for the cost of shipping.

whereabouts are you? i am not familiar with pond plants so i didn't know if it is good for your tank.

i do send trimmings from my tank for just the cost of shipping if you are interested.

and with the posted pictures, i am not quite familiar with those...sorry i can't help you with it..

I would definitely recommend experimenting in a separate container if at all possible. It doesn't necessarily need to be another aquarium - if you could set up a large tupperware container or bucket, and then just fill it with "water-change water" and put a good light over it, you could probably see what happens.

A big concern with mosses is submersion. Did you pick up that moss from completely under the water? Or was it on a rock near the edge of the water.

Some plants grow "emersed" which means that they may grow in shallow water or along the edge of the pond - but they will die if they are put completely underwater.

whereabouts are you? i am not familiar with pond plants so i didn't know if it is good for your tank.

i do send trimmings from my tank for just the cost of shipping if you are interested.

and with the posted pictures, i am not quite familiar with those...sorry i can't help you with it..

I live in Albania, a small country in Europe, between Italy and Greece. Thank you for the offer but the shipping to my country is expensive and I dont have my parents' support on fishkeeping, they think it's a waste of time and I dont think that they will give me the money to buy online... :( Im sorry, im so angry at times because of this...
About the quarantine, I dont have any aquarium lights at home because my tank is jext to my balcony and it always gets light, what should I do?
( Im considering to put the second plant to my tank, some people told me that it must be a moneywort or something similiar. How can I root it? )
Thanks!

I live in Albania, a small country in Europe, between Italy and Greece. Thank you for the offer but the shipping to my country is expensive and I dont have my parents' support on fishkeeping, they think it's a waste of time and I dont think that they will give me the money to buy online... :( Im sorry, im so angry at times because of this...
About the quarantine, I dont have any aquarium lights at home because my tank is jext to my balcony and it always gets light, what should I do?
( Im considering to put the second plant to my tank, some people told me that it must be a moneywort or something similiar. How can I root it? )
Thanks!

that actually will be a problem unless i will send priority mail international flat rate box. but you are right about the shipping cost being a little higher than first class mail. wish i could help you. i really do want to just give my trimmings for free rather than throwing it away in the trash knowing that some members can use it. :-(

Back
Top Bottom