First time with plants. Is this a good light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhillipC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to add plants to my 55g standard rectangular tank (48" long) for the first time and I'm not sure what lighting I should get. I'm planning on planting simple low light plants because I do not want to add CO2 to the water.

Would this light be good?

Dual-Lamp T5-HO | Aquatic Life

And can someone explain to me why this light from marine depot is $40 more expensive?

AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - FreshWater

Thanks!

Tank Lighting

Hello Phil...

You don't need high end lighting for the easy to grow plants, so save your money. You'll find good, inexpensive lighting at the your local Lowe's or Home Depot for around $30.00. Just get a standard two bulb 48 inch shop light and a couple of 32 watt GE 6500K, T8 bulbs. The shop light is very light and will sit on top of the tank. The fixture is recessed, so the bulbs don't touch the tank hood. Nothing else is needed and the bulbs will easily last a year. This type of lighting is my preference for my planted tanks.

B

Could I get a T5 shop light in case I want to have more light?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What's your budget, shop lighting looks pretty... well... large and industrial.. I can recommend some great leds based on what your wanting to spend..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well I was willing to buy that aquatic life T5 HO light that I originally posted so anything around $100. Would LED be better?

For a hundred that's be your best bet I guess.. beams works makes a cheaper led.. I'd recommend a finnex planted plus on that size tank. T5's work, they just require annual bulb replacement.. I'm a techi nerd so I'll always go led over fluorescent...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm going to add plants to my 55g standard rectangular tank (48" long) for the first time and I'm not sure what lighting I should get. I'm planning on planting simple low light plants because I do not want to add CO2 to the water.

Would this light be good?

Dual-Lamp T5-HO | Aquatic Life

And can someone explain to me why this light from marine depot is $40 more expensive?

AquaticLife T5 HO Light Link Fixture - FreshWater

Thanks!

The Marine Depot light comes WITH the bulbs. The first is Just the fixture.
At least that's how I read it.

Back
Top Bottom