Fish eat roots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willsFishTank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a rosette sword plant and it has a runner with 5 baby plants and they all have some roots but one of them had bigger roots and when I woke up this morning and looked at it they were gone. Should I cut the runners off and plant or leave them. Here are a list of the fish in my tank could you tell me if any of them are plant eaters : 7 columbian tetras, 7 Von rio tetras, 1 red tail shark, 5 Otto cats, 1 blue gourami, and some ghost shrimp. And the tank size is 55 gallon.

Here's a pic of the baby plant that got its roots eaten.

image-3153676023.jpg

Both the tetras and the gourami could be your root eater. I see my dwarf flame gourami picking at any roots that are in the water column. Do you have a breeder box that you can clip the daughter plant off and leave it in the box to regrow roots that can't be eaten? You need to have roots before planting it.

If the roots get eaten again I will move the plant to another tank. And I've seen the roots that were eaten start to grow back from this morning :)

Back
Top Bottom